Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is arriving shortly and I need to either trade in my Model S or sell it outright before acquiring my Model 3. I purchased this Model S at the end of July 2017 from Tesla via the CPO program and it came with an additional 4 years 50,000 mile warranty. The car originally came from Tampa Florida, and is currently located with me in Kansas City (Overland Park, KS). The car originally retailed for almost $130K, I paid $66k for it from Tesla and here is what I've done to the car since:

1) Complete XPEL Ultimate paint protection film install (I authored an article on this site about it)
2) Full paint correction with EVO Quartz ceramic coating applied to paint and wheels
3) Windows tinted to match roof glass
4) Upgraded to 4G LTE wireless via Tesla Service
5) Added Tesla vinyl side stripe from Ki Studios (easily removable if buyer doesn't want it)
6) Added cubby drawer and cargo cover butler

I've owned the car just over 6 months so I thought I'd take off $1,000/month and list the car at $60K. I will attach photos and the window sticker. The car currently has just over 30,000 miles. The car has been a great car, problem free, and I wish I could keep it but finances don't allow for 2 Teslas at the present time.

(Please note that the car came with brand new 21" grey turbine wheels and Michelin tires. I drove those until November when I took them off and put them in my garage and installed a set of 19" wheels and winter tires for the winter. I assume the buyer will want the 21" tires and that I will sell the 19" ones separately, but if the buyer prefers the opposite I could do that as well.)
20170901_110758.jpg 20170901_110810.jpg 22587.png 20170916_160640.jpg 20180207_092148.jpg 20180207_092508.jpg

What is “drivers edition”? Is this a different way to say pre-autopilot?

Yes, it is a car for drivers, not those who want to be driven! :) Seriously though, the P85+ does have a unique suspension and steering feel that you do not get in the newer cars, especially the "D" cars which to me have a more sluggish steering feel to them. The P85+ has a more nimble / lighter weight feel to the steering which some people may like.

BTW I have had a couple of people PM me about the car. Yes the price is negotiable, it always is, but please if you are interested make an offer and we can go from there. If I don't receive any offers that I like before my Model 3 arrives I will simply take Tesla's offer and the tax advantages of the trade-in. I simply want to see if there are any interested buyers in the market that may want a really nice P85+ with attractive options and add-ons.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is a car for drivers, not those who want to be driven! :) Seriously though, the P85+ does have a unique suspension and steering feel that you do not get in the newer cars, especially the "D" cars which to me have a more sluggish steering feel to them. The P85+ has a more nimble / lighter weight feel to the steering which some people may like.

BTW I have had a couple of people PM me about the car. Yes the price is negotiable, it always is, but please if you are interested make an offer and we can go from there. If I don't receive any offers that I like before my Model 3 arrives I will simply take Tesla's offer and the tax advantages of the trade-in. I simply want to see if there are any interested buyers in the market that may want a really nice P85+ with attractive options and add-ons.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a more realistic price? $60K is SOOOOO overpriced it’s kinda funny.

I guess you haven't shopped these cars then since there are several available in the low to mid 50's that don't have the options that mine does or have low mileage like mine does, nor do they have the XPEL or other add-ons that mine does. The Tesla trade-in value is in the low 50's, I was hoping to get mid to upper 50's for the car selling outright, otherwise I should just take the Tesla trade in offer and take the tax advantages of doing so which in my state would be about $4.2k. If you want to make an offer then make an offer, but $60k was a reasonable starting point to work from.

I guess you haven't shopped these cars then since there are several available in the low to mid 50's that don't have the options that mine does or have low mileage like mine does, nor do they have the XPEL or other add-ons that mine does. The Tesla trade-in value is in the low 50's, I was hoping to get mid to upper 50's for the car selling outright, otherwise I should just take the Tesla trade in offer and take the tax advantages of doing so which in my state would be about $4.2k. If you want to make an offer then make an offer, but $60k was a reasonable starting point to work from.

Just saying I dunno who would pay $60k for a 5 year old car when for a few thousand more they can get a newer car with autopilot. Tesla’s go so fast if priced fairly.

Reactions: EVSteve
Just saying I dunno who would pay $60k for a 5 year old car when for a few thousand more they can get a newer car with autopilot. Tesla’s go so fast if priced fairly.

I recently purchased a P85+ very similar to this car in options . I had it at one of the Chicagoland service centers and they called my car a unicorn. I asked them why and they said it is a rather rare car. They did not make many of them for one and quite a few of them Tesla has taken back in trade and kept as they are building them up for their racing team. I had no idea about the racing team but do know how well this car handles so that does not surprise me. There is nothing else like it, there are faster model S cars but none that handle quite like this one. If you search Tesla’s used inventory there may be one or two P85+ cars for sale always well over 60k. Also if you by chance find one on Autotrader or a similar site they are priced the same. The asking price is right in the ball park for what is for sale.

• Funny
Reactions: EVSteve and KManS
I recently purchased a P85+ very similar to this car in options . I had it at one of the Chicagoland service centers and they called my car a unicorn. I asked them why and they said it is a rather rare car. They did not make many of them for one and quite a few of them Tesla has taken back in trade and kept as they are building them up for their racing team. I had no idea about the racing team but do know how well this car handles so that does not surprise me. There is nothing else like it, there are faster model S cars but none that handle quite like this one. If you search Tesla’s used inventory there may be one or two P85+ cars for sale always well over 60k. Also if you by chance find one on Autotrader or a similar site they are priced the same. The asking price is right in the ball park for what is for sale.

Congrats on your P85+. One of two Model S "instant classic" cars (the other being the P85D+).

And I don't doubt for a second that's what they told you, but wow, my B.S. detector is pegged! I owned an early P85+ for three years, and the P85+s are neither rare nor unicorns.

Just looking at the sold CPO data, there are twice as many P85s (1,529) as P85+s (848).

The only P85+s which are unicorns are the "300" or so that were made with Autopilot 1 hardware in mid-2014 but never sold that way. I don't see Autopilot being needed for a "racing team" car.

Additionally, this is the first (I think) we've ever heard of this "racing team" with P85+s. If they're building a racing team, you'd think they'd use the biggest battery possible (P100D) with Ludicrous mode (not available on the P85+ unless hacked). The P85+ doesn't even have "Insane" mode, either.

While the awesome P+ suspension on the P85+ and early P85Ds would be necessary for any "racing team" equipped car, that's certainly something that could be added to any P100DL after the fact by the Tesla factory. It's just a few different suspension parts (and slightly wider rear wheels) that makes the difference between a P85 and a P85+. Also, the dual motor P85D with the plus suspension handles a lot better than the RWD P85+. Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot to love about RWD sports sedan handling (my other car is a BMW M5), but in the Tesla, the dual motors really do make a difference in sport sedan handling.

upload_2018-2-20_10-57-48.png

Here's a histogram of the prices of all CPO P85+s sold in the last three years or so. You can see many sold for well below $60k, but the bulk seems be between $60k and $70k. The ones above $70k are likely from 2015 and 2016. I sold mine for $65k one year ago, including the 4 year ESA and 8 year service plans (the buyer got a great deal because I really needed to sell it as I had already bought the P85D+ to replace it and was running out of garage space!). So today, $60k seems like a reasonable price for a car in excellent condition, but by no means is that the bottom of the P85+ market. Right now there's only one available from Tesla, and it's going for $58,600:

Used Inventory | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and JPUConn
Congrats on your P85+. One of two Model S "instant classic" cars (the other being the P85D+).

And I don't doubt for a second that's what they told you, but wow, my B.S. detector is pegged! I owned an early P85+ for three years, and the P85+s are neither rare nor unicorns.

Just looking at the sold CPO data, there are twice as many P85s (1,529) as P85+s (848).

The only P85+s which are unicorns are the "300" or so that were made with Autopilot 1 hardware in mid-2014 but never sold that way. I don't see Autopilot being needed for a "racing team" car.

Additionally, this is the first (I think) we've ever heard of this "racing team" with P85+s. If they're building a racing team, you'd think they'd use the biggest battery possible (P100D) with Ludicrous mode (not available on the P85+ unless hacked). The P85+ doesn't even have "Insane" mode, either.

While the awesome P+ suspension on the P85+ and early P85Ds would be necessary for any "racing team" equipped car, that's certainly something that could be added to any P100DL after the fact by the Tesla factory. It's just a few different suspension parts (and slightly wider rear wheels) that makes the difference between a P85 and a P85+. Also, the dual motor P85D with the plus suspension handles a lot better than the RWD P85+. Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot to love about RWD sports sedan handling (my other car is a BMW M5), but in the Tesla, the dual motors really do make a difference in sport sedan handling.

View attachment 281600

Here's a histogram of the prices of all CPO P85+s sold in the last three years or so. You can see many sold for well below $60k, but the bulk seems be between $60k and $70k. The ones above $70k are likely from 2015 and 2016. I sold mine for $65k one year ago, including the 4 year ESA and 8 year service plans (the buyer got a great deal because I really needed to sell it as I had already bought the P85D+ to replace it and was running out of garage space!). So today, $60k seems like a reasonable price for a car in excellent condition, but by no means is that the bottom of the P85+ market. Right now there's only one available from Tesla, and it's going for $58,600:

Used Inventory | Tesla

Hank, I agree in part and disagree in part. I agree that P85+'s aren't a unicorn other than maybe the ones with AP1. I disagree that the P85D "handles better" than the P85+. The P85D has a heavier steering feel and cannot switch off it's front motor to allow a car to be throttle steered through a corner as may be the fastest way through a corner on a track. As for why not a car with Ludicrous it is because that will overheat the battery pack and the car will go into Limp mode very quickly, hence not useable on a race track. For the new racing series a P85+ is one of the best configurations to start with for a variety of reasons, not saying you cannot adapt a certain car to a certain series or track, but so far the P85+ is one of the preferred weapons of choice. Anyway, my car is gone, so it doesn't really matter to me anymore, but for those who might be interested it should be coming up on Tesla's CPO program shortly, keep an eye out for it! :)

h Ludicrous it is because that will overheat the battery pack and the car will go into Limp mode very quickly, hence not useable on a race track. F

I didn't mean using Ludicrous for launching which of course overheat the battery, but rather better acceleration at the medium and top end, compared to the P85+ battery which really peters out in that range. The Ludicrous power curve is much flatter. Even "Insane" mode is better than the P85+. It's good to have that overhead power available when/if you need it.

For the new racing series a

Is there a new racing series? And any source that says they're using P85+s?

Reactions: BrokerDon