Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 rear drive unit failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is on 3rd drive unit, now at 125k miles, all replaced under warranty. First one was about 2016-2017 making a high pitched whine. 2nd one replaced in late 2020 while still under warranty. It was making a loud metallic thunk on starts, occasionally on regen. Within a week or two on the new one, noise started again and has been there ever since. At no point were there any other performance or drive quality issues. If I had plans for keeping the car longer, I would probably worry about it more but it seems to have been a stable problem for at least a year now.

2013 model S 85 model. Milling noise. Loud noise when I’m driving at low speed.
I’m in, where do I email or how do I reach out? 2014 Model S 85. Original drive motor replaced 2 years ago under warranty @ 55,000. Car is out of warranty, 71,000 miles now and just got the dreaded update from Tesla that the Drive Unit has failed yet again. Warranty ended 12/30/2022. This is ridiculous that the replacement part failed in just 2 years.

Reactions: Fgpalmer71
Hmm, I guess this isn't a bad deal.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 12.30.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 12.30.51 PM.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 21
If you have lifetime supercharging on those - DO NOT trade them to Tesla! Even with other issues like the drive motor, that free unlimited supercharging is worth it on the private sale market and you will definitely do better than a mere 7500!

I don't know about the supercharger situation there now, but if you are the original owner and there are any chargers there now - you might still be able to add that lifetime free charging for the same $2000 even now. There have been reports of others who have had the same option available to them.

I don't know about the supercharger situation there now, but if you are the original owner and there are any chargers there now - you might still be able to add that lifetime free charging for the same $2000 even now. There have been reports of others who have had the same option available to them.
Really? who do you ask for that? If I got that and sold the car in the mainland, what's it worth?

Heck no - you can replace the wheel bearing yourself for less than that, and it's easy if you have the knowledge to do a brake job. The bearing is sold over the counter. Don't pad their profit margins by paying their "diagnosis" fees which are literally 99% pure profit for them.

As for the supercharging, I'd start with putting it in as a service request and try to get virtual support to set you up. They can do it all remotely anyway. For a 2013 in decent condition with 100k miles on it and free supercharging and free data... I'd be shocked if it sold for less than 20k, I'd start at 25k and see where it goes.

How much does it cost to ship a car to the mainland?

Heck no - you can replace the wheel bearing yourself for less than that, and it's easy if you have the knowledge to do a brake job. The bearing is sold over the counter. Don't pad their profit margins by paying their "diagnosis" fees which are literally 99% pure profit for them.

As for the supercharging, I'd start with putting it in as a service request and try to get virtual support to set you up. They can do it all remotely anyway. For a 2013 in decent condition with 100k miles on it and free supercharging and free data... I'd be shocked if it sold for less than 20k, I'd start at 25k and see where it goes.

How much does it cost to ship a car to the mainland?
Appreciate it … asking Tesla

Attachments

• IMG_4707.png
    IMG_4707.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 10

Starting at $15k
Does that one have FUSC though? Their ad states access to the supercharger network....but doesn't explicitly call out the existence of FUSC. As well written as that ad seems to be I'd expect it to clearly call out the FUSC if it does indeed have it.

Does that one have FUSC though? Their ad states access to the supercharger network....but doesn't explicitly call out the existence of FUSC. As well written as that ad seems to be I'd expect it to clearly call out the FUSC if it does indeed have it.
I paid to have both front control arms and suspension changed because there was creaking. Didn’t really go away, I wonder if it’s the front wheel bearing now too…