Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 rear drive unit failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid to have both front control arms and suspension changed because there was creaking. Didn’t really go away, I wonder if it’s the front wheel bearing now too…
Any idea if the end links on the front sway bar were replaced in your repair? A friend of mine had a creaking noise coming from the front of the car a few years ago. I helped him replace them and that ended up being the cause of HIS noise. They were relatively cheap IIRC and they were pretty easy to swap out. But.....I'm not a mechanic, and if the 2 of us could compress the front suspension and ascertain that the noise was coming from the sway bar end links I'd HOPE a certified Tesla tech would have caught it on your car before throwing parts at it!!

Any idea if the end links on the front sway bar were replaced in your repair? A friend of mine had a creaking noise coming from the front of the car a few years ago. I helped him replace them and that ended up being the cause of HIS noise. They were relatively cheap IIRC and they were pretty easy to swap out. But.....I'm not a mechanic, and if the 2 of us could compress the front suspension and ascertain that the noise was coming from the sway bar end links I'd HOPE a certified Tesla tech would have caught it on your car before throwing parts at it!!
2022 changed all these parts

Attachments

• IMG_4718.png
    IMG_4718.png
    746.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4717.png
    IMG_4717.png
    449.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4716.png
    IMG_4716.png
    661.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4719.png
    IMG_4719.png
    533.6 KB · Views: 13
Yes....they replaced them. I see them on your itemized repair list. I have no idea where to go next honestly. If it were ME I'd have someone try to compress the suspension as I looked/listened closely to get the general area of the noise.

I'm not much help here beyond that. My apologies!

Attachments

• 1000005263.jpg
    1000005263.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: ArtK
Creaking in the front end is usually ball joints in other cars - I don't remember off the top of my head if these have a similar setup but I'd expect that they do.

As for the supercharging, it will be a LOT harder to get that instated on the car for any subsequent owner, the original owner (you?) would have the best opportunity on that.

I scheduled with Tesla service and took the car in 12/28... my service manager is great, she asked if I wanted to ride with a tech to have them hear the sound...I told her, no need, they'll hear it as soon as they get in... She knew it was a humming sound. They replaced the hub and no more noise... all good again.

Since it was in the shop I also replaced the passenger tail light unit (didn't want to get pulled over for partial brake light / no reverse light)...

Now the only thing I have left is to fix the steering wheel scroll for volume....($300 quoted by Tesla, just not sure I want to spend that right now)

The switches are available individually on ebay for about $45 (that might be for a set, don't remember) but what will PROBABLY happen at the service center is that they will suddenly want to replace the "airbag module" for a lot more - b/c the halfwits aren't able to understand that you can unscrew the actual airbag from the cheap plastic frame surrounding it, and then change out the buttons themselves. That's what they wanted to do to me when all 6 buttons/functions (both sides) and the horn magically failed at exactly the same moment.