Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Tesla Model S Charge Port Door Won't Open (MCU1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S infotainment console is an MCU1. Since December, the center console has been off (in most cases) when I startup the car after it sits cold for more than a few hours. I attribute the MCU being off to the cold at least. After the car is driven for 15-30 mins, it often boots up and is fully functional.

Lately and in addition to the now regular issues with the MCU, the chargeport no longer seems to respond to the button on the travel charger and requires opening from the MCU. Sometimes the entire MCU seems to be functional, but the settings menu operation to open the charge port door fails (at least for a few mins until it finally succeeds). This tends to be a more common issue lately if the car hasn't been out for a drive longer than 20/30 mins.

I went to a service center recently, for an unrelated issue, and asked about the problems with the MCU operation. The clerk suggested the infotainment update. I'm not sure if the upgrade will fix the unresponsive charge port door, even though that was the focus of my question at the SC. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

You can also use your fob key to open the charge port: press 5 sec or more the "open trunk button" on your key.
There might be another issue: my car has always been temperamental when it came to opening the charge port: I recently understood (I'm slow) that it is slightly miss aligned, making it rub against the body. I confirmed this by using a piece of paper and noticing I could not slide it thru on one side. I sanded down a little bit of the plastic on the side, to reduce the friction and it works better now.