Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 84K Miles Power Steering Reduced Error - Replace Steering Rack 5.5K estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey. I've seen a few posts and watched a few videos but feel between a rock and hard place. Others have gone back to Tesla Service Center (SC) and asked them to replace a recalled bolt or lube up the joints and this appear to have solved the issue. The tech I'm working with mentioned that they can't replace the 'bad' module but instead the solution is to replace the entire rack since the module is in the rack? This does not make sense and is very poorly designed if that is the case. I thought early Model 2 cars were suppose to be bin part cars eh? I'll ask to change the bolt and lube up/clean the U-Joints but feel like I'm being taken advantage with what feels like an outrageous repair bill for a yes I'll admit an older car, but one with fairly low mileage. The car is used to take the kids to school and back for the last 3 years so does not get above 50mph much and it was my a daily driver until I started working from home. If I do the math that is only ~10K a year for the last 8.5 years; which is not much wear and tear in my opinion. I've never had to replace a steering rack for an error before on any car in the past. The car is only worth what someone will pay which is estimated to be between 23K and 27K, so a 5K hit is not super. I was thinking of calling a collision place or another shop to get a quote even if I have to wait longer feel a better price be worth it. Good advice is welcome on what to questions ask on what else can be checked/replaced/tested before swallowing a large repair bill. Below is the error and the estimate. Not sure I can Carry On... Oh, hum...

Cheers,
Tim
Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 7.43.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 7.40.07 AM.png

• Disagree
Reactions: danielk04
Actually, even good old hydraulic steering rack is expensive from OEM ($2k+). But much cheaper rebuilders exist with national distribution to auto parts stores. Parts stores like Napa supports small independent repair shops besides DIYs. Electric racks have been used on ICE cars for over a decade now so the rebuilders are doing these as well. Perhaps just waiting for enough used EV @ DIYer price points for the market. Here is a popular source full of electric racks

Rack and Pinion Archives - Detroit Axle

So salvage yards is the only path for now and price gap to OEM Is huge. Bought and fixed a $500 2001 Prius a few years ago with a salvage electric rack for $100 while Toyota wanted $2k+ new haha. Tesla is no different. ebay has Tesla racks for ~$300 shipped. Searching salvage yards directly can probably get cheaper.

But all this is for DIY so if can't DIY, then probably stuck with new OEM for now. And until Tesla independent repair shops becomes a lot more abundant (probably a long ways off...) Not sure the current few have any incentive to install salvage racks per customer request.

Hello I am currently in the same situation as I have $5K bill estimate staring at me on my 2014 MS. Did you find any alternatives? I was never notified regarding the steering assist motor bolt recall, would that have helped in not having this occur?? Anyway any help is appreciated.