Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SC want to replace Wireharness and Steering Rack Assy.. $4800

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Im a new user, but has been using this forum for a while now - Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge.

I was for a couple of weeks ago getting lots of errors, which didn't makes sense at all. First my servo failed, and I couldn't turn right or left without using brutal force. However I could turn off the car, wait 1 min and push the break, and it would work.

Approximately a week later all kind of errors came up - Permanently now.
Front lights flashing randomly, Dashcam does not work, Sounds scratches, Emergency call didn't work, no auto pilot, cruise control, sentry mode fails, hold funktion does not work, parking assistance and so on

Today I came to my appointment at Tesla SC, and they spend about 2 hours to locate the problem.

- Steering Rack Gear Assy needs to be replace, due to faulty ECU which is burned in the connector due to water damage... Which makes all the Canbus issues.

So, my car is 8000 km over warranty (2,5 month), and they mean this fault has happened after warranty ended - I do not agree!

1. Shouldn't these connectors being water proof?
2. This corrosion has been "working" for a while according to my opinion.

Before starting this below, I will of course take it further, because I means Tesla should pay for the repair

But my question is

I can replace the Steering Rack Motor itself - Its about $150 on eBay - Looks pretty easy.
And replacing the connecter itself, not the entire wire harness - But where do I find it?

Beside that I understand that I will have to restate firmware, to update the new Steering Rack Motor, it that correct? - and can be done through service mode?

My Cars is a Tesla Model 3 LR from 9/2019

Br.
Ahummer

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 264
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 149
  • overview.jpeg
    overview.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 147
1. Shouldn't these connectors being water proof?
2. This corrosion has been "working" for a while according to my opinion.

Before starting this below, I will of course take it further, because I means Tesla should pay for the repair

These connectors should be waterproofed. That's is 100% manufacturing defect.
Correct, but manufacturing defects are only covered during the warranty period. (And it sounds like his steering rack was working fine during the warranty period.)

That would be like saying that you have to replace my suspension components when they are out of warranty because obviously they started wearing during the warranty, even if they didn't fail/become out of spec until after the warranty ended.

Thank you for confirming. Tesla rejected my complain, and im planning my next step. I may think this will become a huge problem.

Anyway, today I replaced the steering rack motor and connector. Easy job, it only took about 2 hours. The motor its self took only 30 min.
I made a reinstall in servicemode and everything works again.

Tesla offer 33.000 DKK ($4700)
Self repair 1500 DKk ($200)

Attachments

• 3FFF0671-A85D-4197-B2A8-162C561C496D.jpeg
    3FFF0671-A85D-4197-B2A8-162C561C496D.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 130
  • E770FBC6-0D33-41EF-A17D-A19C63EE5384.jpeg
    E770FBC6-0D33-41EF-A17D-A19C63EE5384.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 120
  • C07D0B66-3A16-48EB-AB2E-2C4878DE540F.jpeg
    C07D0B66-3A16-48EB-AB2E-2C4878DE540F.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 121
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
First my servo failed, and I couldn't turn right or left without using brutal force. However I could turn off the car, wait 1 min and push the break, and it would work.

Approximately a week later all kind of errors came up - Permanently now.
Front lights flashing randomly, Dashcam does not work, Sounds scratches, Emergency call didn't work, no auto pilot, cruise control, sentry mode fails, hold funktion does not work, parking assistance and so on

Today I came to my appointment at Tesla SC, and they spend about 2 hours to locate the problem.

- Steering Rack Gear Assy needs to be replace, due to faulty ECU which is burned in the connector due to water damage... Which makes all the Canbus issues.
I started to have some intermittent steering issues a few weeks ago; then it wet dead and the autopilot and cruise control would not activate and would flash intermittently.

After some time of that the whole car went dead, blown battery terminal fuse. Still waiting on parts almost two weeks for mobile tech to visit again.

When the power steering began to fail I would get an EPAS error code but then it went away and would not come back. Then remote tech said there were no errors or codes that could be diagnosed.

The original service center appointment wanted to replace the EPAS motor for about $360.

Hi all! My first post and it’s a doozy as my 2017 Model S has been at the SC for a month as I too experienced every error message on my screen and they would not go away even after reboots, shutdowns, etc. The first two weeks at the SC, I kept getting updates that the techs couldn’t replicate and/or find any issues…so they finally gave it back saying that all was good.

I drove home and the very next time I tried to drive…all of the same messages and issues came up.

Car has now been in for another two weeks with no updates as to what the techs may have found to be the problem.

App also said that the vehicle was to be ready for pick-up this morning…so I called two days back and was told that I needed to go back in the app as they just found an issue and my estimate was adjusted.

Well..when I went in to view the revised paperwork…the estimate was for over $8K due to the steering racks (right and left) need to be replaced!

We are Realtors that have driven our S, mostly in-city, and not aggressively for as long as we have owned it…so we are not sure how this problem arose. Plus, I have also noticed that there are a few mentions of repair costs for this type of replacement …and none have exceeded $4K. Still a large amount, to be sure, but it now makes this very hard to justify that kind of repair to what we thought was a LOW maintenance vehicle.

What do you all think?

Hi all! My first post and it’s a doozy as my 2017 Model S has been at the SC for a month as I too experienced every error message on my screen and they would not go away even after reboots, shutdowns, etc. The first two weeks at the SC, I kept getting updates that the techs couldn’t replicate and/or find any issues…so they finally gave it back saying that all was good.

I drove home and the very next time I tried to drive…all of the same messages and issues came up.

Car has now been in for another two weeks with no updates as to what the techs may have found to be the problem.

App also said that the vehicle was to be ready for pick-up this morning…so I called two days back and was told that I needed to go back in the app as they just found an issue and my estimate was adjusted.

Well..when I went in to view the revised paperwork…the estimate was for over $8K due to the steering racks (right and left) need to be replaced!

We are Realtors that have driven our S, mostly in-city, and not aggressively for as long as we have owned it…so we are not sure how this problem arose. Plus, I have also noticed that there are a few mentions of repair costs for this type of replacement …and none have exceeded $4K. Still a large amount, to be sure, but it now makes this very hard to justify that kind of repair to what we thought was a LOW maintenance vehicle.

What do you all think?
are they quoting over 8k for the tie rod ends? Can you post a photo of this with your personal info blocked out?

If it is tie rod ends, you may find that your local Firestone/alignment shop will be able to replace them without issue and align the car.

Thank you for confirming. Tesla rejected my complain, and im planning my next step. I may think this will become a huge problem.

Anyway, today I replaced the steering rack motor and connector. Easy job, it only took about 2 hours. The motor its self took only 30 min.
I made a reinstall in servicemode and everything works again.

Tesla offer 33.000 DKK ($4700)
Self repair 1500 DKk ($200)
Wow nice one! How did you find the new connector? Was it a repair pigtail connector or did you also bought new pins?