Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Annual Shareholders Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....Why would he need to do a round trip with no charging at all? There's tons of chargers in San Francisco and a supercharger between the places. Does he plan to just drive into SF and turn around and go back without stopping?

I'm glad Elon told him no, at least.

"Less than a year to go from highway on ramp to highway exit without touching the controls". Wow.

I'd like to see some execution on this. Elon has talked a lot about self-driving but so far the Model S has nothing of the sort. I would expect that if there will be full automation on the highway, we would have seen something by now. So hopefully we get something soon. Because these things need to be stepped into gradually, "public beta tested," etc. Unless they're just going to use Mercedes' system or something (which seems plenty possible).

Note by the way that on-ramp to off-ramp would suggest the car will change lanes for you, which I don't believe any other car currently does.

... wow He said within a year you would be able to do that (auto driving on highways) ... do you think he meant in production ? or they would be able to in their testing? If they get that into production within a year ... Wow

I would welcome it, but doubt it would be in production. That would mean those ordering an X now would potentially be able to choose it as an option. I'm thinking he more meant their tech would be at that point and they'd be able to show it off.

I'd love to be wrong though.

I'd like to see some execution on this. Elon has talked a lot about self-driving but so far the Model S has nothing of the sort. I would expect that if there will be full automation on the highway, we would have seen something by now. So hopefully we get something soon. Because these things need to be stepped into gradually, "public beta tested," etc. Unless they're just going to use Mercedes' system or something (which seems plenty possible).

Note by the way that on-ramp to off-ramp would suggest the car will change lanes for you, which I don't believe any other car currently does.

Especially since we don't even have adaptive cruise yet.

I would welcome it, but doubt it would be in production. That would mean those ordering an X now would potentially be able to choose it as an option. I'm thinking he more meant their tech would be at that point and they'd be able to show it off.

I'd love to be wrong though.

I actually think the first time we'll get "self-driving" stuff (external sensors, like lane change warnings, adaptive cruise, etc. etc.) will be when X comes out, and they'll get added to S as an option at the same time. Just a guess on my part.

google's self driving car is limited to 25mph because of the removal of steering wheel and brakes. big difference between tesla's version and google's version.

It has brakes, just no break pedal. And I believe the 25 mph speed limit is because it is not legally allowed to drive on public roads, so it is limited to driving around the Googleplex at reasonable speeds.