Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold 2014 Model S AP1 85 MCU1 w/ some hail damage [Deleted]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could sell it without fixing it or sell it after fixing it. USAA's initial quote to fix the hail damage was $4,230. I haven't been able to get another estimate as all the shops I've contacted just want to fix it and file supplemental claims with USAA as needed instead of giving me an estimate.

That’s typical - insurance companies typically have a set amount for repairs and it may or may not be higher than their cash Price. Are you taking it to a collision center ? That could be the reason why. I don’t think hail damage is a deal breaker for most buyers ( unless the glass was cracked ) but it will impact the price significantly. Is there a minimum you’re willing to accept for the car ? Do you feel having the repairs done and paying the deductible will allow you to get the price you want for it ?

I tried to contact two PDR guys and they both just said go to a collision center without actually coming to see my car in person. I don't know how much my car is worth, which is the point of this listing. I also don't know if I'd get $3,800 more for my Model S if I got all the repairs done. If I would then it'd make financial sense for me to go through the hassle of taking it to a place to get it fixed. I've had trouble estimating if it's worth repairing or selling as is, which again is the point of this listing.

I tried to contact two PDR guys and they both just said go to a collision center without actually coming to see my car in person. I don't know how much my car is worth, which is the point of this listing. I also don't know if I'd get $3,800 more for my Model S if I got all the repairs done. If I would then it'd make financial sense for me to go through the hassle of taking it to a place to get it fixed. I've had trouble estimating if it's worth repairing or selling as is, which again is the point of this listing.

I would call more PDR guys until you find one that does hail damage. If the paint was ok before, doing any Bondo, panel replacements, and paintwork should be avoided if at all possible.

Ah, I see.
Well for what it’s worth, I’m in the market for a 2016-2018 model S and the average asking price from a private seller I’m seeing is around 32-38k with the higher end including models that have FUSC, “premium connectivity” ( although I’m not sure if that’s for the lifetime of the car or just a monthly add on that the car is capable of hosting.)

In my opinion, 90k is relatively reasonable milage for the age of your car but you might be better off posting your asking price with damage of the hail damage.
If I found an affordable model s with a transparent seller, hail damage wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

If it were me, I’d get the kbb private party - price it in the mid range and then subtract the hail damage from it and price it accordingly “as is”
Truth be told, I think you’ll have more interest if you try to sell it before the end of the year because finance rates are going up, and even though Tesla doesn’t release vehicles with new options at the beginning of the year like other manufacturers, that mentality is still prevalent among consumers.

If you need any additional Info, you can always message me, I’m always happy to help.

I picked fair condition with my mileage and my Model S's specs, and this is what came back. One PDR guy said (without looking at it in person) to replace the hood, which would involve paint and such. I'd rather just have PDR work as it's usually cheaper and it's more environmentally friendly. If repairing it or not repairing it in terms of increased value is a wash, then I'd rather just sell it as is to avoid having to find a place with availability, getting a rental, and such hassle.
Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 1.25.53 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.