Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 p85dl supercharging at only 67Kw 26% battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BCC38533-1A58-4616-83D8-DDE50D5991CF.jpeg
I got the car yesterday. is this normal after being plugged in for 5 minutes? Or bad? Maybe it’s the charger? I tried another stall and got 74kw. I’m totally new to this. Thanks

Close to normal if you are at an urban Supercharger, which maxes out at 72 kW. But Culver City is not one of those.
Sometimes the entire Supercharger seems throttled, like they've reached the peak power for the entire location and don't want to pay higher rates.
You've tried changing pedestals. You can call the number posted at the Supercharger and see if Tesla has any advice about that Supercharger. Sometimes they can point you to a better pedestal, of just confirm things are slow.

Reactions: tubaprde
The number of threads and questions about slow Supercharging indicates that Tesla really needs to do something to #1 give the owner more information and #2 fix the outdated charger sharing.

Every Tesla sold in the last three years can charge at a very high rate to a relatively high state of charge that there just isn't much left for the second car on a paired stall. It was OK in the early days when the battery would peak only at very low SoC and then ramp down starting at just 20%. But today a 100 battery or Model 3 can charge to 70% at 90 kW or more. That leave the other car with just 1/3 or 1/4 of what they could.

The other thing is there are many factors that reduce charge rate. It would be very helpful to users if the car would give some info wht the charge rate is low. A cold battery, a hot battery, station at capacity, ambient temperature, ...

Damn I’m learning a lot here thanks, interesting stuff. Now I’m at the Dublin SC and it’s max rated at 125 but I’m getting 37 at 29%... I’m on the phone with Tesla about the slowness... support says the sc’s here are gonna have maintenance soon and all are slow

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Damn I’m learning a lot here thanks, interesting stuff. Now I’m at the Dublin SC and it’s max rated at 125 but I’m getting 37 at 29%... I’m on the phone with Tesla about the slowness... support says the sc’s here are gonna have maintenance soon and all are slow

So, the most important thing you need to know about the current generation of superchargers is that each stall is actually part of a pair. You’ll see numbers at the base of the pedestals - 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.

Each pair of chargers has about 145kw of power to split between the two. If someone is already charging at 1A and you pull into 1B, 1A has priority and you get their leftovers. So if the car in 1A is pulling maximum power of around 110kw, you get the other 30-35 until that car starts drawing less.

At a super busy site like Dublin you’re almost always paired with someone, so your initial charge rate will be lower until the other car leaves or hits a high enough state of charge that more power is available for you.

So the moral of the story is, when you have a choice at a less busy site, choose a stall without someone in the matched pair for max speed.