Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 60 - $32500

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Model 3 is noisy on the highway. I've done a bunch of simple stuff to improve it. It's tolerable now.

I was loaned a Model S while rear glass was replaced on my Model 3.

I half wish I got the Model S, I may still, I absolutely loved it.

Insurance and reliability/older-tech has held me back.

bemental

Sep 21, 2014
Maine, USA
Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

Regarding the Model 3 test drive, it’s a really well put together vehicle. If we didn’t need the extra space of the S (single car family with a kid and a 100 pound dog), it would be a serious contender.

And without trying to offend anyone who loves the Model 3, I’ll say that in Tesla-Land, it feels inside and out appropriately priced compared to even our older Model S.
It’s an awesome vehicle, and if it was our first Tesla I wouldn’t “know any better”, but after riding around in a Model S for two years, it just feels like a downgrade.

Even so, I was tempted enough to run the numbers and make serious measurements of which to compare and see if we could make it work.

As I write this, I think downgrade is harsh and inappropriate. The Model 3 is more of a lateral move in my mind from an older Model S.

It isn’t fair to compare them since their prices and purpose/implementation/intent are dramatically different; higher-end of the market with higher profit margins vs mass market appeal and pricing.

Reactions: cucubits and MXer

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
That sounds like a fair assessment of the Model 3.

After a drive test, sadly, I also felt like in some areas it would be a downgrade for me. What's somewhat worse is that I felt that comparing to a slightly new but much cheaper ICE car.

I still have some time and drive tests left before I decide but it's starting to look like Tesla may not be in the cards for me after all. I can't help comparing what features I'd get from a similarly priced ICE car. I'd absolutely love having autopilot and that awesome instant power but I have to weigh other things too and we'll see in the end which side wins me over :)

rshields89

Sep 13, 2019
Austin, Texas
Hello what is the mileage forgive me if I am missing this in your listing! Also is your Model S still available? I clicked your Craigslist link you posted and it's expired.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC