Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D Model S - Supercharhing is slower these days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 MS has 81k on it. It used to be much faster when supercharhing but in the last year the rate is much slower. I will take a couple of hours to fill up at a supercharger while my friends new MY takes about 30 minutes.

Are they throttling the supercharging for Cara with unlimited supercharging? Is this show a hardware problem? Is there a way to check the battery health on my car?

Thoughts?

Guy Gadois

Yes they are your supercharger for sure. It isn't because of your Unlimited supercharging. It's because of the age of your battery pack. I owned a 2012 P85. When the pack failed, I bought a new pack. After the HV battery upgrade, I was regularly seeing charge rates around 130 KW/H, still with unlimited.

My 2015 MS has 81k on it. It used to be much faster when supercharhing but in the last year the rate is much slower. I will take a couple of hours to fill up at a supercharger while my friends new MY takes about 30 minutes.

Are they throttling the supercharging for Cara with unlimited supercharging? Is this show a hardware problem? Is there a way to check the battery health on my car?

Thoughts?

Guy Gadois
There's definitely something wrong with your pack or with the heating element. Because if not, even charging of cold soaked pack shouldn't take hours, but let's say 1 - 1,5hour. Free SuC has nothing to do with it, I have upgraded my 85D to 100D and still see charging rate starting at up to140kW and it still remains around 100kW at 50% SoC.