Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a mid-2016 MS90D, so not a case of an 85 swapped for a 90, but a true 90D. I've seen supercharging speed peak at about 150 kW with SOC around 30% with the software updates around maybe 1.5-2 years ago. Now, I'll agree, that's only in a specific window of SOC, battery fully warmed up, and on a V3 supercharger, but yeah, charge rates that high are possible on a 90 pack. For me, with a warmed up battery, charge rate in the 135 kW range are typical in the 20-30% SOC range, with taper kicking in to gradually reduce charge rate as SOC goes above 30%. I'll typically hold >100 kW down to just over 50%, then down to about 70 kW by the time I'm out to 60% and 45 kW when I'm out to 80%. If I'm doing a long range, multiple supercharger stop in a day stretch, then I'll typically only charge up to about 60, maybe 70% depending upon how I want to space stops.
got it, that makes sense, my battery would be limited by 350v vs 400v, maybe the newer car has better cables and stuff too, mine is a q1 or q2 i forgot 2015

i do remember one guy claiming he got 170kw peak charging speed with the 1014116-00-c but i asked for more details to which he didnt respond.
this new battery definitely supports faster, but theres other limiting components.

ive made a video from swapping the old 85kw battery to a 90kw 1014116-00-c, paid out of pocket, astronomical difference when road tripping
charging curve depends to differ based on many things... ive seen it hold onto 100kw up to 56% one time, this video slows down after 42% and it was after over an hour of driving.

before getting 200 miles of charge was about an hour
now its like 35 minutes
of course a new model s is 15 minutes, but oh well.

what kind of car/battery pack? ive never seen mine go above 122kw and getting that high is rare
Thanks for sharing. I've got a 132K miles/10 years on the original 85 pack that was nerfed in mid-2019 and seeing your video gives me hope. I would typically see a peak of 128kW when charging at an initial SOC% below 10 sometimes...other times it'd be 94 or 74. I could never tell if the slower speed was due to my hardware or the Supercharger stall. On my most recent 450 miles trip, I stopped at an empty V2 charging stall with 8% SOC and got 74kW, the next stop I got 134kW for the first time ever and the entire charging session took about half the time as I was accustomed to. Unfortunately the next stop was at an empty V3 site where I maxed out around 98kW and quickly slowed down.

Some observations from your video:
1) Charging for the first 5 minutes doesn't seem like too much of a difference, but the new larger "90" pack starts to break away at the 15 minute mark.
2) 35 minutes into charging and the new "90" pack added 50% more than the old 85 pack.
3) The initial estimated time to fill difference appears to be 10 minutes, but ended up being more than 20 minutes in reality.
4) Both estimates are clearly off. The newer "90" pack estimate was 45min but turned out to be 53, and the old 85 estimate was 55min but took 71.

Reactions: Videomatic3
ive made a video from swapping the old 85kw battery to a 90kw 1014116-00-c, paid out of pocket, astronomical difference when road tripping
charging curve depends to differ based on many things... ive seen it hold onto 100kw up to 56% one time, this video slows down after 42% and it was after over an hour of driving.

now its like 35 minutes

what kind of car/battery pack? ive never seen mine go above 122kw and getting that high is rare
2013 with a 90kw battery pack
20230918_125106.jpg
Screenshot_20230522_102856_Tesla.jpg

now its like 35 minutes

Hi,

You live near me. May I ask who upgraded you battery and the cost? thanks

Hi,

You live near me. May I ask who upgraded you battery and the cost? thanks
Sure... many service centers will tell you no its impossible. Take your car to Berkeley, they will give you the 90kw option and depending on the service rep they might even give you the 100kw option.
The price of my battery was 17,500 before tax, and just under 20k after
They didn't have an exact cost of the 100kw because they've never done it yet but the service rep was told 20k for 90 and 25k for 100.
Every time I go to Berkeley they have always given me a loaner car, and I'm much happier than when I took my car to dublin. I'll never schedule for dublin again.
Had I of known better I would have done the 100kw but it was too late by then, I was dealing with dublin, and the service rep told me to go to Berkeley because dublin sucks.

On another note I was in fresno to pick up a new model 3 just to avoid dublin and even fresno heard how much dublin sucks.

Dublin sucks have I mentioned that yet?

Sure... many service centers will tell you no its impossible. Take your car to Berkeley, they will give you the 90kw option and depending on the service rep they might even give you the 100kw option.
The price of my battery was 17,500 before tax, and just under 20k after
They didn't have an exact cost of the 100kw because they've never done it yet but the service rep was told 20k for 90 and 25k for 100.
Every time I go to Berkeley they have always given me a loaner car, and I'm much happier than when I took my car to dublin. I'll never schedule for dublin again.
Had I of known better I would have done the 100kw but it was too late by then, I was dealing with dublin, and the service rep told me to go to Berkeley because dublin sucks.

On another note I was in fresno to pick up a new model 3 just to avoid dublin and even fresno heard how much dublin sucks.

Dublin sucks have I mentioned that yet?
Thanks for all the facts- including Dublin is the place to avoid!