Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S Buyer's Remorse - advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dealer took the car back so now I'm in the excited hunt for a Tesla. New(ish) model 3? Used S?
One of the problems here was it was a car bought at auction, sold by a used car dealer. They didn't know anything about Teslas and later searching showed, not a great reputation.

I'm thinking private owner (onlyusedtesla) or used from Tesla (no model 3s whenever I've looked).
I'm tending towards longer range and AWD.

Recommendations?

Wouldn't touch a CPO with a ten foot pole, YMMV but sample size here seems to have a not-so-nice time with Tesla CPO. Used from the community (here?) or a 3 if you really feel the need...

I too have been very happy with my 2015 pre-owned that I purchased from Tesla. Yes, there were hiccups with the buying process but honestly, Tesla paid the thousands of dollars for my flight, rental car, replacing the screen, and shipping the car to me in Colorado. So all good in the end and I get the remainder of the 4 year warranty plus a couple more. Plus I have FUSC for the time I will spend with the car (got it back in May before the change in policy). I'm a man without fear!!

Reactions: aerodyne
The dealer took the car back so now I'm in the excited hunt for a Tesla. New(ish) model 3? Used S?
One of the problems here was it was a car bought at auction, sold by a used car dealer. They didn't know anything about Teslas and later searching showed, not a great reputation.

I'm curious how you convinced them to take it back! Was the rear handle still the only failure/issue or did something else come up?

I wholeheartedly recommend buying a used Tesla on Tesla.com. You just can't beat the 4 year warranty. The price I paid for my car was a little LESS than a comparable car was selling for at a nearby used car dealer, PLUS comes with an additional 4 year warranty.

True, the actual buying process stunk in that it took 3-4 weeks to actually get the car. But that annoyance aside, it probably saved me 8k vs buying a used Tesla elsewhere and buying a third party 4 year warranty for it. The buying process itself was "meh", but the value was huge.

The hardest decision for me was used S vs. new 3 (for the same price). I ended up with a used S because one I liked happened to pop up the night I was planning to order a new 3. I would have been happy either way I'm sure.

Reactions: BlueOvalFan
+1 for used vehicle from Tesla. It takes time and patience but very rewarding. You should drive a model 3 before you make any final decisions as we were set on a Model 3 but after reviewing both cars we decided on a used S for our needs. If you can get away with the model 3's specs you get a lot newer tech for the same money, but again it depends on what your must-have list includes.

I wholeheartedly recommend buying a used Tesla on Tesla.com. You just can't beat the 4 year warranty. The price I paid for my car was a little LESS than a comparable car was selling for at a nearby used car dealer, PLUS comes with an additional 4 year warranty.

This was exactly the case for me...plus the buying experience wasn’t all that bad either. My story... LINK

As for the OP, I completely understand your anxiety. I too almost bought a loaded P85D from a private dealer but could get myself to take the plug. I simple refuse to take the risk knowing I can get a comparably priced vehicle WITH warranty from Tesla. I think you made the right move as long as you dint loose money on the trade in