Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S recalibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I can somewhat echo to the OP statement. Before I went to pick up my first Tesla four years ago I did found the same suggestion - drive the car down to single digit on your range display and then charge it to 100% SoC. Leave it there and start driving in few hours. As I was driving the car home (app. 1000m trip) I had no chance to fill it up to that level, instead I started to drive after it reached to 70-85% SoC. But all my charging did started at very low level. I thought to try that suggestion after I get home but found out that the car had already calibrated and I gained 22m/35km on the range display with that trip. Odometer was at 40k mile/65k km, Model S 70D. Still hasn’t tried to recalibrate since and now four years later the 100% SoC corresponds to 223m/361km.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere from a reliable source that calibration happens all the time, it just gets more accurate with a greater difference in SoC.

I believe there is no advantage to go above 93%,or below 20%, to get accurate calibration.

4.5 years, 2015 85D, followed Elon's tweet and mainly kept the car between 20-70, stored at 56%., Storage was for two months on two occasions. Once as low as 19.8 per SMT, three times tried 100%, but car stopped charging at about 99.6%.

On the attempts to 100%, actually lost rated range because the pumps and blowers can on and the car knew that would the RR would be reduced.

You loose Regen above 94%, even on a slow charge over night outside at 50deg F, never got more than a mile more RR.

Sold the car in Oct, about 263 out of 270RR.
Screenshot_20220410-165726.png

I'm happy for the folks that have significant improvement in calibration, but don't think it is typical.

Revel in your free SuC, Leather, and Sunroof, the new cars cannot compare in those areas.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Glad I found this thread. I've been having Severe Range Anxiety lately, as I got my MYLR in Dec, and in the 4 months I've owned it, have lost about 2% of my range. Charge to 90% every night. 2% loss isn't much, but at this rate, I didn't want to lose 6% per year. I tried a calibration last night, which didn't help. The comments here have eased some of my concern. Guess I'll forget about it, and try calibration again around the 1 year mark.

Glad I found this thread. I've been having Severe Range Anxiety lately, as I got my MYLR in Dec, and in the 4 months I've owned it, have lost about 2% of my range. Charge to 90% every night. 2% loss isn't much, but at this rate, I didn't want to lose 6% per year. I tried a calibration last night, which didn't help. The comments here have eased some of my concern. Guess I'll forget about it, and try calibration again around the 1 year mark.

Many sources of fleet data showing degradation with time, such as Teslafi, and ABRP.

It's just not worth stressing over the pack. Let the BMS take care of that.

Reactions: Rob9874
So I tried this method yesterday. Parked the car with 0% and plugged into 11kw AC. Turned it dont a bit, to 10A and let it charge to goal of 100%

It stopped charging at 98%, the it was left plugged for 4 more hours then i had to drive off. The loss of regeneration was some, but not the same as when the car is 100%..so there was some juice left to be filled?

In the past I charged car to 100%, but never from such a low SoC...how come it stopped at 98 this time? shall I repeat?

Not sure. Was the 98% after 4 hours? It may have charged to 100%, and then the vampire drain dropped it down to 98% after 4 hours.

As for regen at 100% (or 98%), Tesla about a year ago changed the design so that it uses electric brakes if regen is not available. It's rather seamless. In the olden days, it was dramatic when you had no regen at high SOC.

I don't think it is necessary to repeat it unless you want to see if it will get to 100%.

So I tried this method yesterday. Parked the car with 0% and plugged into 11kw AC. Turned it dont a bit, to 10A and let it charge to goal of 100%

It stopped charging at 98%, the it was left plugged for 4 more hours then i had to drive off. The loss of regeneration was some, but not the same as when the car is 100%..so there was some juice left to be filled?

In the past I charged car to 100%, but never from such a low SoC...how come it stopped at 98 this time? shall I repeat?
That is probably due to a larger battery imbalance.
When the first cell reaches 100% charge, the BMS will stop charging, even when most of the other cells are less than 100% full.

I drove to 0% yesterday and plugged in back in, this time I will let the car sit for 6 hours after completing. Will check the battery stats after that time via SMT.
Interesting, the trip meter showed 56kWh (I drove from 97% to 0%), while the app showed the full charge was 61kWh. Most likely the trip meter isnt that accurate? The charger itself showed 66kWh (8% losses sounds right?)

It seems this did some good to the BMS. On monday evening when I've hit 0% there was no loss of power (the dots on the energy meter), which is accorind to Bjorn a very good indicator of how much juice the car still have. But yesterday when I hit 1% there was already slight loss of power (limited to roughly 200kw).
So at least the % is now more realistic.

It also charged the car to 99% (from 0%), so maybe a few more runs 0 to 100% should do the trick, which is something I wont bother with..my heart bleeds when the car sits at "full charge" for many hours.

It also charged the car to 99% (from 0%), so maybe a few more runs 0 to 100% should do the trick, which is something I wont bother with..my heart bleeds when the car sits at "full charge" for many hours.
Don't do this, there's no profit out of it. I believe, if the miscalibration is high, it should be just enough to discharge to single digit % SOC and charge it back to 100% without sitting there.. I did it several times but never "gained" more than 1-2% of range, the calibration is keeping pretty accurate during the time. Maybe it's because I got quite often up to 80% and also down to 10-20% of SOC.

Regarding charging, 8% loses between the charger and battery seems perfectly normal, even I sometimes have only 5% on AC. It depends whether the battery needs some additional cooling (SuC charging) or whatever, maybe you were sitting in the car with AC on, etc.
56kWh also seems to be normal, this number unfortunately includes only the consumption during driving, but not when the car is standing (including AC or heating going on, charging 12V battery and other stuff).
So yep, your numbers pretty much makes a sense, I used to have very similar on my nerfed 85kWh pack.

Reactions: aerodyne