Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S recalibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I was losing range and decided to recalibrate my car. In doing so I contacted Tesla who told me to let the battery go down to under 10% then re-charge to 100% and let it sit for six hours.

Because I was charging it at home it took almost 20 hours to charge from 6% to 100%.

I must admit, I was very skeptical about this whole recalibration process, but did it anyway.

But after completion, the range went from 190 to 234 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I thought I was losing range and decided to recalibrate my car. In doing so I contacted Tesla who told me to let the battery go down to under 10% then re-charge to 100% and let it sit for six hours.

Because I was charging it at home it took almost 20 hours to charge from 6% to 100%.

I must admit, I was very skeptical about this whole recalibration process, but did it anyway.

But after completion, the range went from 190 to 234 miles.
kind of funny how they tell you its bad to charge to 100%
my neighbor says the technicians that he works with tells you to leave the car at 100% for a couple days untouched while leaving the car plugged in to keep it topped off... however with the amount of vampire drain in my 85d it lost so much from running the cooling pumps, up to 9% per day... its impossible to charge it to 100%

Reactions: dthomas658
It is bad to charge to 100% and leave it there.

I don't see how the vampire drain makes it impossible to get to 100%. The charging is much more powerful than the vampire drain so it should definitely get to 100%. If you don't leave it plugged in, it won't stay there for sure. But that doesn't mean it won't get there.

It's TECHNICALLY Bad to charge to 100% and LEAVE IT THERE. I would not recommend that for longevity. A day or two, even a week or two here and there, really isn't going to make much a difference. YEARS can hurt the overall health & capacity.
That being said, I'm prepairing to finish a video I started in 2016, 7 years ago. I have 2 x 18650 Cells from a 2015 P85 with I think 15,000 miles on it. They were given to be my WK057 for testing.
After I finished my capacity tests, I decided to do a LONG term test. Since I had two cells, I charged one cell to 100% and the second cell I discharged to the approximate voltage a Model S would shut down at. I put both back into their storage case, and put them in a nice safe place, where I actually forgot about them (read, couldn't remember where I put them). Finally found them in my office while cleaning, dusted the case off. Initial voltage readings are GREAT! I started doing the final update to the video, and put a few cycles on each cell. Surprisingly, extremely little capacity loss. Thats not saying they haven't degraded in other ways, but initial results, very little capacity loss.
I still recommend around 50% SOC for long term storage. I in fact do this with with all my lithium batteries. Example of how well 50% works though, I got my first laptop on October 21, 1998. I actually STILL use it. It's running Windows 98 SE, has a ton of different ports, and communicates perfectly with no hassle with some old equipment I still work with, such as motor controllers, CNC machines and what not. I dabble all over the place. Oh, and it still runs some classic games that Windows 10 & up can't. Original battery, which got the crap used out of it back when that was my main/only computer in Middle School & part of High School, and then occasionally since. That original battery, still keeps the laptop powered for 2+ hrs. When new, I could get ~3 hrs run time per charge, if I wasn't using the dial up modem on my 200 ft phone line so I could sit anywhere in the house......

Reactions: aerodyne
I was getting around 190, now its 235
I should note that the actual range didn't change, only the range indicator. You could drive just as far before and after the calibration. Still, it is nice to have a bit more accurate indicator. Likely this was the first time it was re-calibrated in 8 years. I tend to do one calibration every year or two, but I really don't worry about doing it.

Reactions: dthomas658
But immaterial to what I said above. "Real" range or not, I've never seen anyone gain anywhere near close to that from a "recalibration" (which is like 80% hocus-pocus).

What were your charging habits before? How many miles on the car? How long have you owned it?
Don’t need to go back and forth with you. My post was FYI. But I will respond one more time. I’ve owned my car for five years. Since I first purchased it, it has recently shown a sharp decrease in range. I never drive over 74mph, and often use autopilot. My initial range was 245 on a full charge. Average actual range was around 230. I started averaging around 190 miles after charging to 90%. After contacting Tesla, they recommended recalibrating the battery. I posted the results.

Don’t need to go back and forth with you.
I appreciate the info and sharing your experience. But the information you’re providing continues to be unclear, and incomplete, and details matter.

When you quote range figures like “190 miles”, are you talking about how far you can actually drive on a charge, or what the car actually says on the range display when charged? If the latter, are you talking about 90% state of charge or 100%?

Your initial post suggested that prior to this “recalibration” your car showed a rated range of 190 miles when charged completely to 100%, and after the recalibration your range display showed a range of 234 miles.

Is that accurate? If not, can you clarify for the sake of others trying to learn from your experience?

Well I can somewhat echo to the OP statement. Before I went to pick up my first Tesla four years ago I did found the same suggestion - drive the car down to single digit on your range display and then charge it to 100% SoC. Leave it there and start driving in few hours. As I was driving the car home (app. 1000m trip) I had no chance to fill it up to that level, instead I started to drive after it reached to 70-85% SoC. But all my charging did started at very low level. I thought to try that suggestion after I get home but found out that the car had already calibrated and I gained 22m/35km on the range display with that trip. Odometer was at 40k mile/65k km, Model S 70D. Still hasn’t tried to recalibrate since and now four years later the 100% SoC corresponds to 223m/361km.