Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 MS Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is weird but I don't understand the questions or the answer.

Until about March 2015, Model S could be ordered with a Tech Package that included the Nav system with traffic, autopilot (on appropriate hardware), power liftgate, lighted door handles, and possibly a few other features. I think there was a premium interior package that included ambient lighting, rear seat floor lighting, extra trunk lighting, etc. After that time, the Tech Package was broken up. Autopilot became its own feature, and the remaining parts of the tech package were made standard (nav system with traffic) or folded into the PUP (which I think was formerly all about lighting).

I believe almost all cars from the Tech Package era were ordered with it, and in fact I've heard an anecdote that cars ordered without the Tech Package had a special sign hung on them during production indicating this fact.

Next gen seats were never a part of the tech package or the premium package. Seats were a totally separate option.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: jaguar36 and whitex
Sorry, I was just all confused. Thanks so much for everyone's clarification. The question was answered. So now I'm looking for a AP1 with Next gen seats :) the lift gate is cool but not needed. Anyone else think of something that I should put on my needed list?

Sorry, I was just all confused. Thanks so much for everyone's clarification. The question was answered. So now I'm looking for a AP1 with Next gen seats :) the lift gate is cool but not needed. Anyone else think of something that I should put on my needed list?

There aren't a lot of "must haves" with Teslas, but your needs/preferences might determine for example wheel size (21s look nicer but the tires won't last as long compared to 19s), suspension (air vs coils), etc. Generally speaking, most people would want the Tech Package if that was an available option when the car was configured (i.e. before about April 2015 or so). Note that were many more combinations of optional features back in 2015 than there are today.

For what it's worth I've been very happy with my S85D (April 2015 build).

Bruce.

There aren't a lot of "must haves" with Teslas, but your needs/preferences might determine for example wheel size (21s look nicer but the tires won't last as long compared to 19s), suspension (air vs coils), etc. Generally speaking, most people would want the Tech Package if that was an available option when the car was configured (i.e. before about April 2015 or so). Note that were many more combinations of optional features back in 2015 than there are today.

For what it's worth I've been very happy with my S85D (April 2015 build).

Bruce.
Nice.. Thanks so much for your quick responses! I wish i could find a white, air suspension, black next gen, 19in ,pano roof, carbin fiber decor, tech package tesla with 4 year warranty. haha ideally thats what I want but at my 40k-43k price range I have to sacrifice some things. Must haves out of all that is one with white exterior, tech package, next gen(grey or white) and pano roof. I'm just waiting for a end of the year flood so prices drop a little bit more. These are the two i'm eyeing right now
1. Model S 70 5YJSA1E14GF127942 | Tesla
2. Model S 85 5YJSA1E13FF114923 | Tesla

Nice.. Thanks so much for your quick responses! I wish i could find a white, air suspension, black next gen, 19in ,pano roof, carbin fiber decor, tech package tesla with 4 year warranty. haha ideally thats what I want but at my 40k-43k price range I have to sacrifice some things. Must haves out of all that is one with white exterior, tech package, next gen(grey or white) and pano roof. I'm just waiting for a end of the year flood so prices drop a little bit more. These are the two i'm eyeing right now
1. Model S 70 5YJSA1E14GF127942 | Tesla
2. Model S 85 5YJSA1E13FF114923 | Tesla
Fyi: grey leather will be less common because it was on backorder for long stretches of time, while black and tan was available all the time.

I have a 2015 MS 85D with tech package, but not the PUP - I have AP1 features, but not the ambient lighting, power lift gate, or next gen seats.
What's your VIN range? If you have a tech package, you should have the power liftgate. Based on that you listed, you don't have the tech package. What you probably have is a post tech package car (VIN>845xx), with Autopilot Convenience Package but no PUP. Power liftgate was part of PUP from ~April 2015 till some time in 2017 where it became standard on all Model S.

Here is what Tech package included in 2015 before it was dissolved:
Tech package.png

PS> Note the dash picture showing a car in the left blind spot - a feature Tesla cleansed off their website a year later when it became apparent Elon's idea to use parking sensors for BSM was naive and completely not thought out, therefore not achievable.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: alloverx
What's your VIN range? If you have a tech package, you should have the power liftgate. Based on that you listed, you don't have the tech package. What you probably have is a post tech package car (VIN>845xx), with Autopilot Convenience Package but no PUP. Power liftgate was part of PUP from ~April 2015 till some time in 2017 where it became standard on all Model S.

Here is what Tech package included in 2015 before it was dissolved:
View attachment 354512
PS> Note the dash picture showing a car in the left blind spot - a feature Tesla cleansed off their website a year later when it became apparent Elon's idea to use parking sensors for BSM was naive and completely not thought out, therefore not achievable.

Yep, I just double checked, you are correct - Autopilot with Convenience Features. I am vin 879xx, with a 5/2015 build. It's amazing how much they changed the different packages/features over those few years....and still are I suppose.

Reactions: whitex
which would you guys get
1. 60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1S16FFP72546 | Tesla - this has tech package 21in wheels 60, textile seats
2. Model S 70D 5YJSA1E23FF109374 | Tesla - smart air suspension, Dual Motor 70D, nexgen
3. Model S 85 5YJSA1E13FF114923 | Tesla - 85, nexgen, 2k more

all white, pano roof.. I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions I just havent seen any of these cars so I want your guys' opinons. Thanks in advance! and I'm thankful for you guys and all the answers you give this Thanksgiving!

I'm a little confused with the tech package. If a 2015 tesla has tech package does it mean it has tech package?
Model S 85D 5YJSA1E20FF115147 | Tesla
vs
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

I really want nex gen seats as i hear they are so much more comfortable than multipattern and nappa. Should I keep waiting?
It's worth sitting in the'old gen' and the 'next gen' seats to determine which is better for you. I don't like the next gen seats at all, they are too narrow across my shoulders. The multipattern seats seem to wear very well, some of the leather seats I've seen look a bit tired

Reactions: shiftkenny
It's worth sitting in the'old gen' and the 'next gen' seats to determine which is better for you. I don't like the next gen seats at all, they are too narrow across my shoulders. The multipattern seats seem to wear very well, some of the leather seats I've seen look a bit tired
Yeah I think next week I'll see what dealerships have Tesla's and try to sit in them. Do the Multipattern seats feel uncomfortable though after a couple hours?

Yeah I think next week I'll see what dealerships have Tesla's and try to sit in them. Do the Multipattern seats feel uncomfortable though after a couple hours?
Personally, they are perfect for me, the most comfortable car seats I've had. I regularly drive 3.5 hours to my rural place. Others don't like them, it depends on the shape of your body, like any seat.

I agree Bruce, the question needs a little clarification.

I have a 2015 MS 85D with tech package, but not the PUP - I have AP1 features, but not the ambient lighting, power lift gate, or next gen seats.

I also have an April 2015 S85D with Tech package. I do not have the Premium package, yet my car has interior floor lights in front and back seats, as well as door handle lights and puddle lights.

I read somewhere that the tech package includes LED headlights instead of Xenon lamps, anyone knows how to tell which is which? TIA.