Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90D sells for $42.5k on cars & bids, time to sell my P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

How much difference is there between a 2015 P90D and a 2015 P85D? I've been contemplating selling my 2015 P85D with 17k miles to upgrade to Plaid but was hesitant due to the dropping prices of MS cars and figured it wasn't worth my time to go through the hassle of trying to sell it and dealing with window-shopping buyers. I'm still a very new EV owner with less than 5 months of ownership experience. Originally wanted to go straight to Plaid or Taycan but bought the P85D to "play it safe" for the sake of entering the unknown world of EVs and no assurance of my staying long-term. I think I'm at a point where I might want to stick around for a while longer so I want to move up to Plaid. Truthfully though, I've been wishing that someone with the track package already installed would put their Plaid up for sale so I can snatch up a better deal for saving some extra money and time there as well (wishful thinking on my part, I know :) ).

Perhaps this P90D sale was a fluke in the market and shouldn't really be taken for nothing more than entertainment. I'm thinking if this P90D can garner $42k then maybe my P85D can attract $38-39k?

Curious for people's thoughts on this sale price?

I'm guessing it's the low mileage (and condition but that's warranted due to the low mileage). It's also got ludicrous mode if that matters in value.

How many miles are on that P100D and the Raven? Overall condition?
Ludicrous was a $10k option new so... yeah. It greatly impacts used car value and as time goes on these are the cars people will be looking for so they'll maintain value better too since it'll be easier to sell them. The more factory options a used car has, the easier it is to sell. Especially when it comes to Tesla given how expensive some of those options were.

I personally wouldn't place much premium on the large motor cars or low mileage, and especially both together I would see as a "future of pain" combination since there are a lot of little issues that you're going to trigger once you start putting mileage on the car.

That said, I feel like there's still a lot of advantage to the older S / X cars, like "steering wheel and traditional gear shift / signal indicator / horn" controls, on an S you can get a sun roof; AP1 is a 100% known quantity and actually pretty good for many totally normal scenarios.

But for those who just want raw power, the P vs non P in an 85 or 90 or whatnot simply won't compare to the new S/X cars....

I'm sure there's some value in unlimited supercharging, though I wouldn't be surprised if tesla randomly revokes it in the future, then un-revokes it, and revokes it again, drama drama. The premium connectivity is also a value.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
I would see as a "future of pain" combination since there are a lot of little issues that you're going to trigger once you start putting mileage on the car.

I had to chuckle at this... so true of many higher-end and exotic cars... and my car-buddies agree for the most part, although the GTR I had held up pretty well but I only had it from 8k miles to 11k when I sold it, so perhaps I'm bias.

A member here sold his P85D for $34.3k with 52k miles so that's probably a more realistic benchmark not accounting for options/condition/mileage/etc:

I personally wouldn't place much premium on the large motor cars or low mileage

I think low-mileage will always play a factor. We can argue it's consequential impacts on EVs and that won't change how the average consumer looks at purchasing vehicles. It may apply more to ICEs than EVs but the mindset is hard to break. At the end of the day, more mileage means more wear-and-tear on mechanical components, generally speaking. Here's another P85D with 117k miles, let's see where it closes at:

I got 40 for my P85 DL+ Ludacris with MCU 2.5 and 96k km and gave away my unlimited supercharging. I can’t believe how much faster the new model S is at charging. Crazy!!!! I don’t even have time to have lunch before it’s done to 100%.

I personally wouldn't place much premium on the large motor cars or low mileage, and especially both together I would see as a "future of pain" combination since there are a lot of little issues that you're going to trigger once you start putting mileage on the car.

That said, I feel like there's still a lot of advantage to the older S / X cars, like "steering wheel and traditional gear shift / signal indicator / horn" controls, on an S you can get a sun roof; AP1 is a 100% known quantity and actually pretty good for many totally normal scenarios.

But for those who just want raw power, the P vs non P in an 85 or 90 or whatnot simply won't compare to the new S/X cars....

I'm sure there's some value in unlimited supercharging, though I wouldn't be surprised if tesla randomly revokes it in the future, then un-revokes it, and revokes it again, drama drama. The premium connectivity is also a value.
My 2015 P90D still blows away every car at a traffic light. How many new cars today can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds? Not much more than existed in 2015.

Just the other day a Challenger SRT floored it on a green light and was shocked that he couldn't shake me away. I was riding his tail for a mile. He finally gave up, hit the brakes and pulled over for me to pass.

I got 40 for my P85 DL+ Ludacris with MCU 2.5 and 96k km and gave away my unlimited supercharging. I can’t believe how much faster the new model S is at charging. Crazy!!!! I don’t even have time to have lunch before it’s done to 100%.

I would love those faster charge times, but my 2015 also has the free connectivity and sunroof that opens. I use that sunroof every time the sun is shining. Leaning towards Mercedes EQS for my next EV just for that reason alone.

Yes, I miss my sunroof as well, I would’ve insisted that feature if I could’ve got it on the ‘22. The free connectivity and supercharging was nice, but added a fair bit of time to road trips. There was plenty of time. We waited an hour or so. It’s nice that we decide when we leave not the charging! I wish I had transferred my free supercharging out of that car and into my new one though that would’ve been nice. free and fast?! Perfect!