Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 MS85D driver's handle only responds when unlocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone can help me with my MS85D with MCU1 I've had for 2 weeks now.

-I was only given one fob

-Auto-present has yet to work at all

-If the car is locked then only the front passenger handle responds to touch(the key can be on the driver's side of the car and this is still the case)

-If unlocked the driver's handle responds to touch. (and I think the rear's but I haven't played with them as much)

-I've tried to update the fob(it was already up to date), repeatedly tried all combinations of options for auto-present, and driver's handle only, rebooted both screens, tried the power off reboot and tried the Factory Data reset. The only changes were after the Factory reset which only seems to have removed my SiriusXM entirely and removed the Streaming Login(Use Tesla Login doesn't work) So if you have any fixes for those, I'm all ears.

From what I've gathered, this is a similar response to what happens if a key is left in the car. I haven't found one yet, but am wondering if it's possible there's one lost in the depths somewhere... BUT, if there were a key in the car that it's recognizing, wouldn't it allow me to start the car without the key in my pocket?(Which it will not do)
And if there IS a key lost in there somewhere, is there any way of locating it short of stumbling upon it?

Any chance a software redeploy would do any good? If so, what's the method? I've found the location in the service menu, but then it gives me a number of options that I'm less clear on what should or should not be tried...

Original Message deleted. I missed the part where it works when unlocked.

If anything you can have the drivers door only unlock first, it's in the options somewhere. Butbthat would make the dricer present before the passenger, and you said the opposite is true (does it think it is RHD for some reason...)

Original Message deleted. I missed the part where it works when unlocked.

If anything you can have the drivers door only unlock first, it's in the options somewhere. Butbthat would make the dricer present before the passenger, and you said the opposite is true (does it think it is RHD for some reason...)
Nope it's not a RHD thing. If I do driver only present it does just deploy the drivers handle when unlocked with fob or touched if unlocked.
When it's set to all handles then all handles come out when unlocked with fob or touch either handle unlocked or touch the passenger handle when locked.

Basically driver's only works as expected off or on. Auto present never makes any change. I can unlock with fob normally. But if I want to walk up and unlock then it's only the passenger front door that responds to touch(but all come out). But if unlocked both front doors respond to touch(and all handles come out)

Are you saying that if you walk up to the car - and the car is ‘locked’, when you get to the driver’s door - no handles present themselves, and pressing on the driver’s door handle does nothing?

If so, could be a micro switch in the door handle

if you’re worried about keys, the service centre can program a new key for you, and remove the lost key as well

Are you saying that if you walk up to the car - and the car is ‘locked’, when you get to the driver’s door - no handles present themselves, and pressing on the driver’s door handle does nothing?

If so, could be a micro switch in the door handle

if you’re worried about keys, the service centre can program a new key for you, and remove the lost key as well
Yes what you stated is true.
However if I leave the car unlocked with the handles retracted then I can walk up and touch the drivers handle and they all come out. So it seems like evidence that everything in the handle is working...

I pulled everything and tried digging in every book and cranny yesterday and found no sign of a key in the car but that's not to say there's not one in there somewhere.
Following this theory I did also confirm that there are places(like the driver's side trunk) where if I put my key there the car won't recognize it to start the car.
Not sure if it's the same antennas though for door recognition...

LOL... Oh it's a Tesla all right... This morning I go out to my garage. Unplug, Do the usual weekly vacuum, wipe down. Then I go mess with something else in the garage and come back near the rear driver's side door a couple seconds and I hear the handles come out... WTF? It just auto presented for the first time ever...
I go away, handles retract.
I come back, give it a couple seconds and they present again...
I lock the doors, touch the driver's handle and it unlocks...

I have every expectation that this will just suddenly not be working next time but for now it just suddenly started working...

The only other thing I can think of is that I did just use a bit of cleaner and wipe on the door handles... Which I hadn't done yet... Is there any possible way that some wax or something of that sort the dealer had put on would somehow block signals, or otherwise have an effect on the handles that would effect auto present without touching? (But again the touch did work previously while unlocked...)