Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85+ Staggered 21 Grey Wheels and Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Switching to 20" Axis wheels on my Model S. Selling 21's - Staggered set, however currently have 245/35ZR21 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on all four wheels as the 265's were not available at the time I put on new tires. Pictures attached. Some minor stone dings and normal wear and tear. Can take closer pictures if interested further but no significant curb rash or anything. Comes with the wheels, tires, tire pressure sensor, however I'm going to keep the center caps for my new wheels. 3 tires are at 7/32" tread. 1 tire is a 5/32" tread. Brand new is 10/32".

For TPMS compatibility, my car is a April 2014 manufacture date VIN P38688 P85+.

Located in Southwest Michigan. Will meet within a reasonable distance or ship for actual shipping costs to your location.

Asking price: $2,400 (plus any shipping charges if you need shipped)

IMG_0157.JPG IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0155.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0158.JPG

Put my new Axis wheels on, the color of the center caps on my 21's is a shade or two darker than the new 20's so, I'm going to include the center caps with the 21 inch wheel/tires too.

Romo - Paulusdb is correct, should fit your car even if it didn't come with staggered wheels.

Thanks, I didn't know that:) is there any advantage or disadvantages to having staggered? Sorry I'm new, and have been trying to do as much research as I can. I've learned more from this forum than anywhere. My CPO is coming this week and I'm stoked!!!

The staggered setup on Model S -- simply put -- are rear tires that are 3/4" wider. Barely the width of your thumb. The rear wheels are 1/2" wider to accommodate the wider tires.

It's supposed to give you better handling (in turns, not forward traction) at the extremes of adhesion.

Theoretically.

I got rid of my 9"rims and 265mm tires on my P85+ so it's easier now to buy better matching tires. Really no difference in handling or ride.

A lot of various opinions on the staggered versus non staggered. For me, in the past, with rear wheel drive only cars it allowed the use of a wider tire in the rear versus the front to get better traction on acceleration. I believe there's also some understeer/oversteer advantages to running a certain amount of stagger in the rear versus the front. However, my perspective at this point is that it's pretty much a visual positive. Factory staggered 21's for Tesla run a 265/35zr21 in the rear and a 245/35zr21 in the front. It does give the car a nice stance.

As far as the disadvantages - there are two I would highlight. First is that you can't rotate the tires front to back. The wheels on the back are 9" wide and the fronts are 8.5" wide. If the tires are non-directional, you can rotate from left to right - the wheels are not side specific. The second is tire selection. This is primarily a 21 inch wheel issue, not a staggered issue. The tires available are almost all summer high performance tires. These tires perform EXTREMELY well in the dry and at warmer temperatures. They are softer compound and generally wear faster as well. That, combined with a heavy car (our Teslas are very heavy) lead to faster tire wear. For me, I estimated about 8-10k miles for a set of rears and maybe another 3-4k longer for the fronts. Running the PSS. Of course, much of this depends on how heavy your right foot is.

If you are interested in the 21's, just remember that the tire wear is going to be rapid until someone comes out with an ultra high performance all season or a touring tire in that size. If I could get the Continental DWS 06 in these sizes, I would probably be keeping the 21's.

I switched to 20's on my car - I can say they are a nice compromise for tire selection however I definitely like the looks of the 21's better on my car. Wheels and tire selection is always a compromise - it's about what do you want more. Noise/comfort/longevity or look/performance.

My .02 I guess...

Reactions: Cowby
tldr.png

So, be smart and get 20" staggered for summer and 19" square for winter. Like myself (245/285-20 & 245/245-19).
Or, be macho and get these from OP at a bargain price. (I sold my factory 21" staggered set with Michelin PS2 @ 1.000 miles for 25% more, cash)

Reactions: Joelc
Should add that the cast aluminum 21s from Tesla are prone to both wheel and tire damage, including blowouts, from potholes and the likes. 20s offer much greater and cheaper tire selections, as well as added protection from said damage, at the cost of 1" of hotness...

You could sell your 19s, use proceeds to help do 20" square or staggered with all-season tires and not have to mess with seasonal wheel swaps. Quite a few possibilities there, ones I've been wrestling with personally for some time now.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
Factory staggered 21's for Tesla run a 265/35zr21 in the rear and a 245/35zr21 in the front. It does give the car a nice stance.

People keep saying that, but the difference between the front and rear tire width is just 20mm, or 3/4". With the Tesla staggered setup, there's really no position you can stand and see the width of both the front and rear tires in clear enough view to say "wow, those rear tires are so much wider!!". If you're looking from the front corners or sides, you can't see the full width of the rear tires because the car sits so low. The only place you can see the full width of the rear tires is from the direct rear of the car, and even then, the additional width of your thumb standing ten feet back is what? Tiny. And you can't even see the front tires from that position at all.

So I keep saying, and difference in "stance" is all in peoples' heads. It's not like the wheels/tires are different outside diameters (some cars do have different sized wheels front and rear, those are very noticeable). And the difference in the 35% profile between 245s and 265s is just 7mm. Or just 1/4". From the side of the car, you really can't tell that the car has staggered tires.

If you are interested in the 21's, just remember that the tire wear is going to be rapid until someone comes out with an ultra high performance all season or a touring tire in that size.

The Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 are great 21" summer performance tires. I'm still on my first set, and I think I can get one more summer out of them (three summers total, probably 25k miles).

t. First is that you can't rotate the tires front to back. The wheels on the back are 9" wide and the fronts are 8.5" wide. I

One more thing -- a few people here have put the 9" rims with 245s on the front without problems. It's obviously not a Tesla supported configuration, and I wouldn't do it. But people have.