Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P85D Chrome Rear Diffuser fitment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner of a 2015 P85D, and I really love the car. One of the few issues I noticed before the purchase was that the chrome diffuser at the bottom of the rear bumper was slightly damaged. The dealer (non-Tesla) offered to replace the part and ordered a new one. It seems to be an authentic Tesla part, made in Canada, part 6009004-00-C.

It appeared pretty straightforward to install so I did it myself. It looks mostly fine, but not perfect, so I’m wondering if the part may have changed over time. Here are two pics. The first shows a slight gap between the chrome piece and the bumper, which is evident on both left and right corners. Very minor, but noticeable if you look closely. The main reason I think the part may have changed is in the second pic, which shows that the ends of the chrome don’t quite reach the rubber fins. Seems like the fins should insert into the chrome but looks about ½ inch short. I’ve looked at a couple of other Model S from the same years, and on those, the chrome and rubber usually (but not always) meet together more precisely. And on most (but not all), there is no gap on the corners as seen in the first pic).

I’m fairly confident I’ve installed it correctly, since all the tabs locked in and the bottom “plate” of the chrome piece meets flush with the bottom lip of the bumper (there is no way to push it in further). Any thoughts on whether the fitment on this part is hit or miss, or if I should order another piece to see if it fits better? I can probably live with it as is, but just wanted to make sure.

With pics...

Attachments

• P85D-3.jpg
    P85D-3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P85D-4.jpg
    P85D-4.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 6