Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine something as insignificant as a license plate holder could be considered to invalidate crash test results. If so, that must be some stout bracket! :p
No, no, no. Back in 1978 a Ford Kumquat failed a front crash test after drilling a single hole through the front bumper
weakened the flimsy pot metal so much that the entire thing collapsed. Ever since that incident... ;)

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Looks like part of the bumper in this pic: A close look at the updated Tesla Model S with new front fascia [Gallery & Video]

2016_04_18_154508.jpg

Just putting my critical analysis hat on.. I would tend to agree with you, but it's also possible that part that looks like it curves out to meet the mounting plate is actually the reflection of the curved back of the mounting plate on the flat surface of the actual bumper. The red color also looks slightly different, which it wouldn't be if it were stamped as part of the bumper.

But I'm not really convinced either way, but I'm leaning towards a removable mounting plate because it would just be too stupid of Tesla to do the other thing.

Reactions: hiroshiy
OMG that appears molded in...!! ??

In the pic where Bjorn is putting his hand into the "grill", it seems to be a separate piece. In watching his video earlier, it looks as though it mounts from underneath perhaps.

...and I hope as I'm in a no-front-plate state! I DO however think the Euro plate looks not as bad.

If it's removable, which I think and hope it is, kudos to TM for integrating a body-color, minimally-intrusive solution for us. Still should ship off the car and be up to consumer whether to apply it though.

Had to fill in the two front license plate holes in my new 2001 Porsche Carrera with "bumper plugs" painted the body color. No option for no holes from Porsche at that time. The plugs did hide the holes pretty nicely, so not a big deal.

A molded-in plate frame would be pretty unbelievable, but you never know.

• Helpful
Reactions: bradjc