Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gqabGgl.jpg

Looks like it's flush with car but it's not build into the car. You can see it has a base plate and a mounting plate. The mounting plate is screwed onto the base plate. The two holes at the top would be for your license plate. No evidence of anything screwed into the front of the car.

lrEvFMN.jpg

You can see he that it curls under the nose. I speculate that it's attached to the car under the nose. Why else would it do this?

rWTVCIT.jpg

This where the plate meets the grill. Is that cutout for the mounting screw? Does it go further back into the grill? Who knows.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It is being mounted at the factory, without asking if you want it mounted!

How do you know that? With the old version, I was asked when I picked up my car. Since it's mandatory, I agreed and they mounted a nice looking "Tesla" licence plate holder to the front. I bet it's the same way now as before. But perhaps they all come with them and are removed from below (good eye @pixel4) when you pick up your car if you don't want it leaving no holes at all. But in the majority of states and provinces they are required so it creates less work to remove the ones not needed. That's just a guess, though.

People need to stop making categorical statements unless they know a fact for certain, or freaking out, unless there really is something to freak out about.

People need to stop making categorical statements unless they know a fact for certain, or freaking out, unless there really is something to freak out about.

If we waited until things were known for certain there probably wouldn't be any posts at all about the refresh that just came out. :)
I did try qualify by saying what I was told by my sales guy. Unfortunately, the information may have been incorrect.

If it's set up like I think it is (bottom attach only; removable), it's a pretty slick solution. Better than anything I've ever seen on a production car before. Given that it's a specialized bracket that is required in most locations, it makes sense to ship it attached, and lets folks remove it if they want. Perfect solution. Which makes all the panic all more funny.

Reactions: ohmman