Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P100D Steering Wheel Vibration - 3rd time in service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased the car on the Tesla website, and took delivery 10/26. As I was driving home I felt a steering wheel vibration. Pulled over at the nearest exit, called the service department, they told me to bring the car in.

Got an appointment for a couple days later - they ended up changing a bent rim. Drove home, wheel is still vibrating. I call the service center, they say to bring it back.

I bring the car back, then I am told the front drive unit needs to be replaced. So they make an appointment for me to come back in about two weeks. In the meantime, I change my wheels from 21" to 19" - the rims and tires are brand new. So I pick up the car, and head home - same exact vibration.

Call the service center back, they say it's because of the 19" tires being winter tires......well.......no.......this is still the same exact issue as before. So they tell me to come back to the service center, and bring my 21" wheels the car came with. That's where we are now. I just dropped off the car, with the wheels in the car for them to put back on and figure out the issue.

Any ideas?

for what it might be worth, I had a steering vibration in my 2016 MS when new, and eventual fix was to fix the air flow in the front fascia...at highway speeds, the wind may get caught up in the front bumper area and not escape as planned causing steering vibration.

I dug up my old notes, here is something if that may help you/the advisor:
-------
6/4/18:
Vibration on front bumper area: final/permanent fix is a radiator ducting. I believe applying foam was a stop-gap fix. Replacing GRILLE COVER UPR, FR FASCIA MS2 with Part # 1057847-00-E is a permanent fix. Model S Vibration at Highway Speed's Above 70 Miles an Hour Finally Fixed!. Get this fixed in the next visit. Done finally, in January 2019.
-------