Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Tesla S suddenly lost power (PRND turned RED). No error message!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Tesla S
I had no issue with my car until after low voltage battery was replaced by Tesla Mobile Support 10 days ago.
A few days later, I noticed a noise coming from the frunk area. The noise was more noticeable on low speed drive. The noise gradually became louder then today suddenly lost power while driving on a highway. I noticed PRND turned RED. Never seen this before. No error message on the dashboard. The power came back in a few seconds later. I was able to drive home without another episode until I almost arrived at my house when the car kept losing power. I would put in D then step on gas, but immediately lost power. This kept happening for several minutes and I was not able to park in the garage. About 10 minutes later the power stayed on long enough to pull into my driveway. I requested Service, but the earliest date is 1 month away! Any feedback would be helpful, since I can't find any similar issues. Thank you in advance.

2016 Tesla S
I had no issue with my car until after low voltage battery was replaced by Tesla Mobile Support 10 days ago.
A few days later, I noticed a noise coming from the frunk area. The noise was more noticeable on low speed drive. The noise gradually became louder then today suddenly lost power while driving on a highway. I noticed PRND turned RED. Never seen this before. No error message on the dashboard. The power came back in a few seconds later. I was able to drive home without another episode until I almost arrived at my house when the car kept losing power. I would put in D then step on gas, but immediately lost power. This kept happening for several minutes and I was not able to park in the garage. About 10 minutes later the power stayed on long enough to pull into my driveway. I requested Service, but the earliest date is 1 month away! Any feedback would be helpful, since I can't find any similar issues. Thank you in advance.
Could it be the dreaded RDU (rear drive unit) failure? Although I thought that was accompanied by a message. More common in 2015 and older, from what I've read.

Upvote 0
The lack of error message could indicate a mechanical failure the software isn't monitoring for, like a broken CV axle. It's hard to say without a description of what the noise sounded like. This kind of reminds me of the time I spun a bearing in my WRX and shot a rod through the block - the failure didn't trigger a check engine light.

Upvote 0