Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers turn on with Cruise Control, won’t work on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a ‘23Model Y. The automatic setting on the wipers will sometimes turn on for no reason, won’t turn on in the rain, go at whatever speed the gremlins want them to run at. When the cruise control is used, and the wipers are on automatic, they turn on - at whatever speed they want, even with no rain- and the “off” function for the wipers is greyed out. The only option is to take cruise control off, turn wipers off completeLy, and then not use cruise control.

Took the car for service, and was told “ this is a known problem, it requires a firmware update, and the engineers are working on it.” Funny, we had a 2018 Model 3 that had NO ISSUES whatsoever. So how is it a car 5 years older had no issues, and a 2023 is still waiting for a ‘fix’?

This is a safety issue, as a pop-up rainstorm in heavy traffic required pushing the wiper button repeatedly, until it got to a point where we could look down at the screen to turn the wipers on manually. Tesla has known this is an issue, and does….what?

Figure if you spend over $50K for a vehicle, it should work 100%, OR have problems that are correctable. Tesla has been totally unconcerned and unapologetic.

Many threads about this. It's tied to Tesla Vision when autopilot is used. If the windshield camera picture appears degraded to the system, it turns on the wipers to clear it. Since the system needs a clear front camera to operate, it can't wait for the driver to react. As you've seen, the implementation is less than perfect.

And it's not relegated to only the MY. I had a 2019 M3 that had the exact same problem. It's a system wide defect.

The auto wipers in both our 2023 S and 2023 Y are pretty bad. I usually have to set them to one of the manual settings when it rains. Definitely worse than in the 2018 S and 2018 3 we owned before.

On the Y, the wipers will sometimes swipe once even when the wipers are set to OFF, and not using Autopilot. The S hasn’t done that (yet).

Keep your windshield clean and use a hydrophobic spray coating every now and then on it, especially where the cameras are. I think the vision sees the rain droplets better if they are not smearing around. I use 303 graphene nano spray coating. Not a "fix" but it does make everything work much better and I don't have near as many wiper issues.

Just got a ‘23Model Y. The automatic setting on the wipers will sometimes turn on for no reason, won’t turn on in the rain, go at whatever speed the gremlins want them to run at. When the cruise control is used, and the wipers are on automatic, they turn on - at whatever speed they want, even with no rain- and the “off” function for the wipers is greyed out. The only option is to take cruise control off, turn wipers off completeLy, and then not use cruise control.

Took the car for service, and was told “ this is a known problem, it requires a firmware update, and the engineers are working on it.” Funny, we had a 2018 Model 3 that had NO ISSUES whatsoever. So how is it a car 5 years older had no issues, and a 2023 is still waiting for a ‘fix’?

This is a safety issue, as a pop-up rainstorm in heavy traffic required pushing the wiper button repeatedly, until it got to a point where we could look down at the screen to turn the wipers on manually. Tesla has known this is an issue, and does….what?

Figure if you spend over $50K for a vehicle, it should work 100%, OR have problems that are correctable. Tesla has been totally unconcerned and unapologetic.
I have similar problems. ‘23Model Y goes on randomly when it is not raining. My 18Model 3 does not do that. Basic Autopilot on the Model Y requires the wipers to be on and since they turn on often and randomly when on 'auto' that renders the autopilot unusable when it is not raining.

Totally agree - had 2021 with no issues; new 2024 auto doesn't turn on no matter how much rain there is; have to manually do all wipers and change speeds as you are driving in rain - a real problem in Florida with downpours. Told fix is coming but this is ridiculous!