Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.28.4cf44833 (spoiler: nothing new in release notes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here we go, an even weirder number on the release side: eight digits now...

The 17.30.xxx one is the firmware reported to be in use on the cars at the reveal event, so could be Model 3 specific, as noted.

And, on the numbering, I guess this proves we're actually on the git numbering permanently, as permanently as a trend of two can set. :D

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Hmm, we're well past week 28 of 2017. I'm beginning to think the week number is also a branch id of sorts.

If so maybe 28 represents the last feature work before something big lands. Maybe the TM3 code, which might give older vehicles a facelift. Or maybe something for AP.

I can also tell that it's at least less than 540MB. Been capturing traffic stats from my car and the entire capture file is 540MB but includes several days worth of data. Trying to figure out the (rough) estimate now.

Last edited:
Why? Seems like a "normal" (since last update's switch) commit hash (which was 17.28.c528869)?
Well, perhaps 'normal'. You would think the hash would be a constant length, no? Or that the 'c' was a prefix? If not, the change in length is a bit weird. In either case, we need more data.

And we have again/still (since we have the 17/2017.30 case) the weirdness of sometimes it shows up as the year, and sometimes the 'short 17 form.

Also, it has been noted that 17.28.c528859 is really 17.28.27 with a patch always applied or some bug fix added to get the c... version. So, something else could be going on here. @verygreen has looked internally and seen both version numbers on his car at the same time (base software, and added developer patch, IIRC).

So, the 'new' numbering is still a strange combo of base 'old style' and git release hashcode, whatever.