Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 M3 left for 2 years! what steps should I Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No its not a AI post. Im helping a friend who was in hospital and convelesing for 2 years. So I got the date wrong, MY BAD!
I own a Y and thats why I am on this board.
Now can We stick to people wishing to give help.
Thanks

(moderator note)

Are you sure that the car is a model 3? If its not your car, perhaps you didnt get the year or the car wrong, but got the model wrong instead? In any case, I need to get the thread title corrected because what you type simply does not and could not exist, so no one is going to take the thread seriously.

Reactions: byeLT4
(moderator note)

Are you sure that the car is a model 3? If its not your car, perhaps you didnt get the year or the car wrong, but got the model wrong instead? In any case, I need to get the thread title corrected because what you type simply does not and could not exist, so no one is going to take the thread seriously.
It was the first year so 2017. He is a bit loopy, had a rough go of it .....transplant, etc

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks I appreciate the help. I just don't want to make things worse. He's doing well now but cleaning up all the wreckage of the last few years

If it were me, I would probably buy a new 12v from Tesla for roughly $85 and try swapping that in there, if you are comfortable doing so. After replacing the 12V, try seeing if it will start charging (if he has a mobile adapter to charge it with, the cars came with them back then).

If you arent mechanically inclined, and the plan for the car is for it to be used for regular transportation again, it might be a good idea for to have it towed to a Tesla service center for troubleshooting , investigation of issues with the car / possible need to update the certificates.

No way to know if the main battery will still work/charge or not after sitting for so long.
Trying to charge it surely won't do any additional harm but as you stated you would need to replace the car's 12v battery before you could even try to do anything else.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Technically you don't need to change the 12V to see if it works. You can jump the car off another 12V car. There are instructions in the manual. You may want to do this first to see how healthy the HV battery is.

Personally, I would:
1) Make sure I have a charger accessible near the car (even 120V is fine)
2) Follow the instructions to get the frunk open
3) Jump the 12V to get the car running and open using either another car, or one of those 12V jump packs
4) Check the screen for any terrifying messages and to see what it reports for the state of the HV battery
5) Plug the car into the charger and see what happens and if it starts accepting a charge.

Once the car is charging, it doesn't need the 12V battery as it uses the DC/DC. It will also then charge the 12V. If the car actually seems to charge the HV battery, then I'd go buy a 12V battery eventually, but there's a good chance it will be OK enough to actually use the car.

Great idea
I was at the Tesla service center. They said the last time the vehicle communicated with the center was 10/23/22 and the HV battery may have survived. I did purchase a 12V battery but have not put it in yet. I will jump it first. Also need to install wifi in area of car for updates. It was shut down. That will be the next issue since there are many updates. It may not be able to digest them and will need to go to service.
They did state that if I install new battery before charging HV I can just swap it out and not go thru all the additional steps under seat, etc.
Thanks for all the input. I will report back the results in about a week.
Thanks again all!

hv

Reactions: Bouba
That will be the next issue since there are many updates. It may not be able to digest them and will need to go to service.

It may not be able to update at all, if the certificates (digital rights basically) have expired. If the certs have expired it will have to go to Tesla for them to update the certs manually.

The certs are in basic terms the digital right for the car to connect to the tesla servers and download updates.

Anyway, it wont be the number of updates that are the issue, it would be whether the certs are still valid for it to update at all, or not. If it updates at all, the number of updates the car is behind isnt really going to matter much.

Reactions: Mike1080i
<snip> Also need to install wifi in area of car for updates. It was shut down. <snip>
WiFi may not be necessary. In the past some software upgrades could be performed via cell but I'm not sure that it would be possible in this instance (as the vehicle is many, many versions out-of-date). However, if you can't get a dedicated WiFi access point installed nearby, you could try using a cellphone as a hotspot. Note that this might cost some $$$$ if you don't have an "unlimited" data plan.

Model 3 is super easy to swap the 12v. Put in the new one, see what charge level it says for the main pack and if there are any errors.

Then report back. If the screen doesn’t come on or the main battery is dead, disconnect the 12v so it doesn’t drain.