Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 3G

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just (today) taken delivery of a 2017 Model S for my son who is returning to New Zealand in a few weeks. I noticed that Maps refreshed quite slowly after a Zoom and saw that the car was reporting 3G. Later, when I requested Navigation to show me the way from Wellington to Auckland (640km) it took forever and finally the screen hung. I had to reboot (thumb wheels hold down) to get back.

After discussing it with my son,he suggested that it could be due to the modem not being able to get the 4G connection in our property and stepping down to 3G. But I then drove the car around and rebooted again near a Cell tower but it still insisted on 3G.

My research indicated that from 2015 Model Ss came with 4G LTE as standard so this is a mystery. Maps is very slow and almost unusable for navigation and of course the hanging is a worry. PS My Tesla is a Model 3 so I'm a bit out of my depth with the bigger brother!

I'm sure there are explanations. Thanks.

This isn't a help to your 3G issues. But having just upgraded the MCU2 (infotainment) unit in my '17 MX it made the maps (and everything else) a LOT more usable. Having only own'd the X for 2 months, I experienced a lot of what your speaking about, Maps being horribly slow, pretty much non usable, rerouting taking forever, Screen hanging needing to reboot etc.

This could also be an issue with the eMMC memory card in the MCU1. Tesla is now doing a warranty extension/repair for this part.

I'm sure there are explanations. Thanks.

Well one explanation could be that there's a 3G modem in it, or the SIM card does not allow for 4G. I have the same question, bought a Nov 2015 2nd hand and have 3G only in what should be a 4G car. Tomorrow I'm getting the CCS retrofit and I'll ask the ranger if he can see what kind of hardware/SIM is in my car.

My March 2015 came with 3G. My MCU1 failed and was replaced with a new daughterboard with 4G. Everything feels the same. The network is not slowing things down - it's just the processor from ~2012 that makes things feel slow. The replacement MCU doesn't really feel any different from the original.

The slow nav calculation for long distances is a dying MCU thing, not a 3G/4G connectivity problem.

That's also my observation (as my calculations are fast enough). FWIW for the TS I think your problem is due to a misconfiguration of either the 3G modem or the SIM. I am probably stuck with a very late/last batch with a 3G modem and SoL.