Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a 17MS 100D for 40k it has 55k miles in thinking of selling it and going back to ICE because I can’t afford a new Tesla

I just don’t see the battery lasting for 84 months does anyone have any experience to show otherwise because from the data I’m seeing the car won’t last

For now I see these cars as something you stay away from used because the long term reliability just isn’t there but they are perfect if you buy new because at least you know you will pay it off before any type of battery failure.

There’s really no protection for these cars batteries after they go out of warranty all the products I’ve looked at will only cover up to 6k or not cover me by the time I can afford to buy thier products

I recently bought a 17MS 100D for 40k it has 55k miles in thinking of selling it and going back to ICE because I can’t afford a new Tesla

I just don’t see the battery lasting for 84 months does anyone have any experience to show otherwise because from the data I’m seeing the car won’t last

For now I see these cars as something you stay away from used because the long term reliability just isn’t there but they are perfect if you buy new because at least you know you will pay it off before any type of battery failure.

There’s really no protection for these cars batteries after they go out of warranty all the products I’ve looked at will only cover up to 6k or not cover me by the time I can afford to buy thier products

Congratulations on your Tesla! I'm pretty I'm not going to be the only person wondering at the purpose of your post.

Your post doesn't give any rationale about why you "don't see the battery lasting for 84 months" or why you think "the car won't last", so it's not clear how people are supposed to react to this or what you expect them to say. These cars aren't perfect but there are plenty of Teslas on the road that are older than 84 months (7 years). As @asterothe pointed out you should still have the original battery warranty (unless it was a salvage car).

Personal example: I own a Model S 85D with about 89% of its original battery capacity after 8+ years and 108K miles.

Bruce.

Upvote 0
Congratulations on your Tesla! I'm pretty I'm not going to be the only person wondering at the purpose of your post.

Your post doesn't give any rationale about why you "don't see the battery lasting for 84 months" or why you think "the car won't last", so it's not clear how people are supposed to react to this or what you expect them to say. These cars aren't perfect but there are plenty of Teslas on the road that are older than 84 months (7 years). As @asterothe pointed out you should still have the original battery warranty (unless it was a salvage car).

Personal example: I own a Model S 85D with about 89% of its original battery capacity after 8+ years and 108K miles.

Bruce.
I’m not a troll I’m looking at various online forums and articles and no Tesla battery seems to last beyond the warranty maybe a year or so after and I bought it used. I just want to be able to pay it off worry free but the data shows that there is a high likelihood of me getting a 25k bill on a car I’m still making payments on no matter how well I take car if it

I make an average salary so getting 25k loan while still having the car loan is basically impossible for me

All extended protection programs run away from these cars the older they are

With an ICE as long as I take car it will not fail randomly I’m just not seeing with Tesla’s data I posted to see if I can be proven wrong

Upvote 0
I’m not a troll I’m looking at various online forums and articles and no Tesla battery seems to last beyond the warranty maybe a year or so after and I bought it used. I just want to be able to pay it off worry free but the data shows that there is a high likelihood of me getting a 25k bill on a car I’m still making payments on no matter how well I take car if it

I make an average salary so getting 25k loan while still having the car loan is basically impossible for me

All extended protection programs run away from these cars the older they are

With an ICE as long as I take car it will not fail randomly I’m just not seeing with Tesla’s data I posted to see if I can be proven wrong

I’m not sure if this is going to help you or not but from experience I can tell you that comments on online forums (including TMC) tend to be slanted somewhat negatively. People post online to complain when they have problems. You don’t read as much from people who aren’t having any (major) problems.

I’m not sure I could prove you wrong to your satisfaction. You presented your view of reality, and I’ve reacted by giving mine (which comes from owning a car that’s a counter example to at least some of your assertions about battery life).

Good luck,

Bruce.

Upvote 0
My P100D delivered in December 2016 is my only vehicle, and has the original battery. So that's 82 months and still seems fine. It has 86k miles, most of that supercharged because I drive nearly all highway miles. Getting about the same degradation as Bruce mentioned. Charging times for trips are roughly the same as it was new, even though it's reduced capacity and slower at the higher states of charge, presumably because of v3 superchargers and a different charging curve (much higher kW below 50% than when it was new).

Upvote 0
Hey Tesla Friends!

at XCare regardless of where you purchased your vehicle from, if you are still under factory warranty, or well past it. If you are able to select your vehicle specifics, and see term options, then your vehicle qualifies! A major plus is your battery & Drive Unit may be covered if your vehicle is within 7 years of age, and under 100,000 miles at time of XCare purchase.
Check us out: XCare EV Protection

Love your Tesla for years to come and have peace of mind when it comes to service! Because who really wants to go back to an ICE...

Let us know how we can help!

-Team X Care

Upvote 0

I have a Jan 2017 MS 90D with over 104k miles and 9% loss that mainly happened early on. Owned since new. I’m keeping mine as long as possible.

If the battery does crap out, I’ll probably replace using Tesla or https://warranty.057tech.com/

They also have warranty options if really concerned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Tesla Friends!

at XCare regardless of where you purchased your vehicle from, if you are still under factory warranty, or well past it. If you are able to select your vehicle specifics, and see term options, then your vehicle qualifies! A major plus is your battery & Drive Unit may be covered if your vehicle is within 7 years of age, and under 100,000 miles at time of XCare purchase.
Check us out: XCare EV Protection

Love your Tesla for years to come and have peace of mind when it comes to service! Because who really wants to go back to an ICE...

Let us know how we can help!

-Team X Care
I did look at them even if I keep the miles down they will only cover cars made the last 7 calendar years so by the time I can affford to buy it I’ll no longer be eligible. I would have to buy by the end of this year which seems like a waste as my factory warranty doesn t expire until 2026

Upvote 0
I have a Jan 2017 MS 90D with over 104k miles and 9% loss that mainly happened early on. Owned since new. I’m keeping mine as long as possible.

If the battery does crap out, I’ll probably replace using Tesla or https://warranty.057tech.com/

They also have warranty options if really concerned.
057 is good but I really would like an option that doesn’t involve me having to ship my car and also covers drive units that and also they have ghosted me twice so I’m scared to spend big money on them other than them and Xcare there’s no real protection out there so people buy these then dump them once the warranty is up your fortunate to be able to afford 25k cash I’ll never be in that spot and if I were I would just get a newer model rather than replace the pack it doesn’t make any sense financially on a used car that’s not a classic or something. The data shows that regardless of mile the pack will fail after 8 to 10 years I can’t find anything that disproves that. Any quality ICE car will not do that if your taking care of it

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
Upvote 0
057 is good but I really would like an option that doesn’t involve me having to ship my car and also covers drive units that and also they have ghosted me twice so I’m scared to spend big money on them other than them and Xcare there’s no real protection out there so people buy these then dump them once the warranty is up your fortunate to be able to afford 25k cash I’ll never be in that spot and if I were I would just get a newer model rather than replace the pack it doesn’t make any sense financially on a used car that’s not a classic or something. The data shows that regardless of mile the pack will fail after 8 to 10 years I can’t find anything that disproves that. Any quality ICE car will not do that if your taking care of it
Early packs did have design flaws with AC drain hose being on top of pack and side vents allowing in moisture. Time will tell if later packs fail at a high rate.

Reactions: maximizese
Upvote 0
I did look at them even if I keep the miles down they will only cover cars made the last 7 calendar years so by the time I can affford to buy it I’ll no longer be eligible. I would have to buy by the end of this year which seems like a waste as my factory warranty doesn t expire until 2026
We do offer payment plans! Please fill free to apply for a quote and we can get you more payment info. Our warranties are priced taking into account your remaining factory warranty. XCare EV Protection

Upvote 0
I support the idea of selling the car in hopes that you can recover close to what you paid. I would hate for you to have a potential expensive repair that you can't comfortably cover. I honestly thought replacement battery packs would be less than $10K at this point and 3rd party alternatives would have been more available but we're just not there yet. I did see a post about a fellah who recently bought a used Model S with a loan and now has a battery failure and trying to navigate what to do with limited funds. While there's only a handful of cases, I simply would not want to be placed in his position nor yours. Safety, reliability, and cost of repair are major concerns for me but I'm a risk-averse person who enjoys a thrill as much as the next guy, though I avoid situations that could wipe me out. Hopefully EV repair costs will come down and/or another manufacturer will emerge with more reliability and more serviceable components.

Upvote 0
I have a 2017 S100D with original battery and motors. It now has over 250k in miles. I repair a lot of stuff. Like a lot. Just broke my sunroof links with a walnut.

I see many posts of people expecting everything on a used car. Like zero costs and I should be able to drive it forever with nothing going wrong.

Stuff wears out. There is no panacea of used cars. If one is expecting nothing to break. Well things do. If one can fix it on own great, if not consider the costs for labor at a service center.

There will be no I bought a used car and why didn't it work like new.

Just go in smart.

edit add:

I actually find this probably going to be the sweet spot of the market and I will probably buy it another 100d used even out of warranty. They're going to be many people like you that walk away from the car and say I don't like the unknown and I want to hand that unknown off to someone else. And I don't mean by buying a used car warranty. I mean by just selling the car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
…The data shows that regardless of mile the pack will fail after 8 to 10 years I can’t find anything that disproves that…
No data shows that the packs are likely to fail. A few people really do have pack failures, and rightfully report them. But hundreds of thousands of people don’t have pack failures…and don’t report that.
I support the idea of selling the car in hopes that you can recover close to what you paid. I would hate for you to have a potential expensive repair that you can't comfortably cover…
Agreed. Although the data doesn’t make a battery failure likely, it is possible. And expensive.
I have a 2017 S100D with original battery and motors. It now has over 250k in miles…Stuff wears out…
I’m at 140k miles. I bought a 75kWh car planning to replace the battery with a 100kWh when it dies. So I’ll be less sad than others when it finally does.

I plan on a couple thousand dollars a year in breakage. Most years I’m under and that goes in the “someday battery” bucket. I bet I go through two batteries before the DU01 small drive unit.

If I don’t get a million miles out of this car it will because someone in my family wrecks it before the experiment runs it’s course.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Upvote 0
Earlier packs (before 16) had design issues with moisture intrusion; that's why you read more of them in the forum, The later pack does not seem to suffer from the same issue. I have 6.5 years with 60k, and still going strong, degraded about 11%. I intend to keep this since the mileage is low, I have FUSC, FSD, and the resell value isn't that great. If you are comfortable now, better to sell it than lose sleep over it.

Upvote 0