Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS remaining battery and drive unit question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking at purchasing a used 2017 MS P100D
It is a 1 owner car that was traded in to dealer.
I’m trying to determine remaining battery and drive unit warranty.

Tesla won’t tell me because I don’t own the car.
The dealer does know and says carfax says it was placed in service March 2018 so add 8 years
However recurrent report says the battery has been in service since January 2017.

That’s over a year of warranty time difference.

Dealer says the last owner already removed himself as owner so we can’t ask him. And dealer isn’t the “owner” so Tesla won’t tell them.

How can I get to bottom of this?
Which do I trust
Recurrent or Carfax?

I’m afraid I won’t know actual answer until I own it and by then it’s too late.

If you can ask the dealer to take a photo of the battery sticker then there are two numbers on it. One is part number and another is serial number, first two numbers of that serial number (which starts with letter T) are production year and the frollowing letter corresponds to a month of it. So A is January… Hope this helps a bit.

If you can ask the dealer to take a photo of the battery sticker then there are two numbers on it. One is part number and another is serial number, first two numbers of that serial number (which starts with letter T) are production year and the frollowing letter corresponds to a month of it. So A is January… Hope this helps a bit.
Nothing on the battery sticker is going to show anything definitive about the warranty term.

Battery manufactured Jan 2017 and then put into the car when manufactured Aug 2017
In service Mar 2018

These dates all seem plausible. As mentioned before, warranty starts at in-service date which would mean Mar 2026 expiration. Carfax has usually been accurate for me with past used car purcahses.

Here is what recurrent shows:
Implying the warranty started in January of 2017 not just simply that the battery was built in 2017.
IMG_1937.png

I have no idea how Recurrent could get that info in any programmatic way.

In 2017 I believe the warranty terms did say it started when the car was registered and placed into service by the first owner.

That did change at some point - the current warranty doc says the clock starts ticking as soon as the vehicle is placed “in service” by anyone - including Tesla using it as a loaner, demo vehicle, etc.

So just a bit of follow up.
Bought the car, and when the ownership transferred I was able to determine CARFAX was right.
Battery and drive unit warranty are good through march 2026.

Not sure what recurrent was looking at for its warranty projection but it was off by 14 months.