Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro fuse --> AC Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X P100D here - I had my pyro fuse replaced today under warranty. About 45 mins later, i got the "AC reduced/Supecharging may be limited" message (THC_w0016). It was only between 60F-70F degrees where I am. And the error came on without supercharging.

Not sure if they are related to one another or just coincidential.

Car is not blowing cold air but seems to be supercharging just fine. I have tried soft/hard resets and the error is not clearing.

Any ideas on what it can be? Maybe its time for me to replace the HEPA filter? I dont think its the compressor (I dont hear any funny noises) and I don't see any leaks.

That alert has to do with your A/C system. Pyro is only very distantly related to all that. Coincidence.

As to what it could be: Could be many things. Could be a refrigerant leak somewhere. You probably won't be able to see an refrigerant leak. Compressor could be shot even if it doesn't sound too different.

2017 Model X P100D here - I had my pyro fuse recently replaced under warranty. Next week, I gave it some throttle and I got a power reduced warning and car was undriveable. The pyro fuse blew. It spent 3 weeks at Telsa Service and made it to Level 5 technicians. Turns out, they put in the WRONG pyro fuse. Glad to hear you error cleared with the update.

• Informative
Reactions: geordi and aesculus
Do you think it could be the 6 year dessicant bag replacement?
Not likely...
What you should do is enter 'service mode' and use the 'thermal performance test' procedure. This will stress-test each component individually and return the results. Not to say it's 100% accurate (like it could fail for a compressor fault when the actual problem is low refrigerant) but it will let you know if everything is 'normal' or not.

Also just to add a little more context: although I am getting the THC 0016 error (compressor failure) when the error is not present the AC runs cold. Makes no sense. Either the compressor is burnt out or it isn't.
Where is it written that THC_0016 means compressor failure? It can be a symptom of compressor failure, that's all. That alert means the system sensors are detecting the AC is not keeping up with system demand (of which cooling the cabin is only one part).

I wouldn't try to outsmart the system, take it in. You probably have a refrigerant leak or something and you risk actually blowing your compressor if you don't get the underlying issue fixed. Then you'll need an entire system flush and a compressor.

Just to tie this together, it was a compressor failure + PTC Heater failure. I am getting it fixed currently (I've been away on business). Just a quick question - the mechanic has given me the option to source my own compressor. The one on my car is 1042442-00-I but I found one that is 1042442-00-M.

1. Presumably it is ok to use the "M" Part over the "I" Part?
2. The Tesla parts catalog says the following: Option Code TRA1. For vehicles built on or after April 25th, 2019. If using on vehicles built before April 25th, 2019 - also order clip 1006855-00-A. Unfortunately, 1006855-00-A doesnt come up in the catalog. Is this clip a simple clip or something more substantive? Can my EV mechanic just use whatever to (presumably) tie it? Maybe perhaps my old compressor has a clip already?