Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing 2017 p100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of a friend is considering selling their 2017 P100D w/67kmi to me. They do not have historical knowledge about the car, nor are they aware of any specific details. It has been a long time since I have followed Model S changes throughout the years. I have read through Tesla Model S history of changes by year and got a general idea of what this car has and is capable of. For reference I bought a Model 3p in 2018 but was considering Model S prior, so am not new to Tesla. The MS will be a commuter for the better half.

The car has FSD. Does this mean the AP computer is 3.0 or could it still be 2.5? When I bought FSD for my Model 3, it included a computer upgrade to 3.0, but not sure if this is the case for Model 3. Is there a way to tell?

The car would have come with MCU1, but may have been upgraded to MCU2. How do I tell?

Anything I should be checking or know about a 2017 MS? It does not have SC01. Late 2017 build.

Price is likely in the low 40's. Model S pricing has been all over the place with recent Tesla price cuts, but it seems to lean on the lower than average side of the pricing scale, yes? Then again there's a 2020 Model S Perf on Tesla's site with 65kmi for 50k. 3 years newer with various improvements for 10k more.

Feedback is appreciated.

In the car, tap on the car image on the lower left of the MCU/1 large screen. Then tap on Software from the left bottom of the menu and then tap on Additional Vehicle Info in blue and take a photo and paste it here. We can help you figure more details out with that image.

The car would have come with MCU1, but may have been upgraded to MCU2. How do I tell?

Go into the Controls > Software screen. You will see a link in blue which says Additional Vehicle Information. Click on it and you'll see a screen pop up that list details for type of audio system, autopilot computer, Front/Read motor types, etc. Look for the entry that says Infotainment Processor:

MCU1 = Infotainment Processor: NVidia Tegra
MCU2 = Infotainment Processor: Intel Atom

My car is a mid-2016 AP1 version, so I do not know for absolute certain how the AP2 vs. AP2.5 vs. AP3 will show up. My AP1 version states
Autopilot Computer: 1.0 Computer

Does this mean the AP computer is 3.0 or could it still be 2.5?
This car would have AP 2.0 unless produced after ~ Sept. 2017, it "might" have 2.5. AP 2.0 is not upgradeable to 3.0 given changes to sensor suite, etc. Regardless, FSD 3.0 doesn't solve the current gaps and Tesla has moved on to 4.0 with new cameras and radar added back. I personally would not even consider FSD in your decision process or $$ estimate. But MCU2 is important and delivers many benefits.

This car would have AP 2.0 unless produced after ~ Sept. 2017, it "might" have 2.5. AP 2.0 is not upgradeable to 3.0 given changes to sensor suite, etc. Regardless, FSD 3.0 doesn't solve the current gaps and Tesla has moved on to 4.0 with new cameras and radar added back. I personally would not even consider FSD in your decision process or $$ estimate. But MCU2 is important and delivers many benefits.
This one is a 12/2017 build so I imagine 2.5.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
All MS built after 4/2017 does not have FUSC. It should be AP2, MCU1 unless upgraded. You should be able to find it in the MCU software section. The car is solid, except the daytime running light (eyebrow) usually burns unevenly (3500 to replace) if you care and likely will burn again later. The price will only be at the lower end. You can even negotiate to lower considering the newer Y and S are cheaper, have a longer range, charge faster, and have a newer MCU. Model S also takes longer to fix if it is ever involved in an accident, parts are harder to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: NathanielHrnblwr

Not sure why you wouldn’t give FSD any value. It is a feature on the car that does add value.

Now for how much value, well that’s up for debate, but it has to be considered.

Reactions: gaswalla
A friend of a friend is considering selling their 2017 P100D w/67kmi to me. They do not have historical knowledge about the car, nor are they aware of any specific details. It has been a long time since I have followed Model S changes throughout the years. I have read through Tesla Model S history of changes by year and got a general idea of what this car has and is capable of. For reference I bought a Model 3p in 2018 but was considering Model S prior, so am not new to Tesla. The MS will be a commuter for the better half.

The car has FSD. Does this mean the AP computer is 3.0 or could it still be 2.5? When I bought FSD for my Model 3, it included a computer upgrade to 3.0, but not sure if this is the case for Model 3. Is there a way to tell?

Anything I should be checking or know about a 2017 MS? It does not have SC01. Late 2017 build.

Price is likely in the low 40's. Model S pricing has been all over the place with recent Tesla price cuts, but it seems to lean on the lower than average side of the pricing scale, yes? Then again there's a 2020 Model S Perf on Tesla's site with 65kmi for 50k. 3 years newer with various improvements for 10k more.

Feedback is appreciated.
I would pay somewhere around $35k-$38k for that car depending on condition. Low $40k is a lot to ask. That extra money could be used for an MCU2 upgrade and/or an extended warranty with Xcare.

Reactions: scgaskill
I would pay somewhere around $35k-$38k for that car depending on condition. Low $40k is a lot to ask. That extra money could be used for an MCU2 upgrade and/or an extended warranty with Xcare.
I have been looking (Autotrader, cars, CarGurus, ext..) and haven’t seen a 2017 or newer P100D with FSD in the 30s. At all. Let alone 35k. (With a clean title)

Low 40s is a competitive price depending on overall condition and history or the car. That is however a good price for today…
… prices on these cars have been dropping quickly. If you wait a bit SneepeZ won’t be far off.

I have been looking (Autotrader, cars, CarGurus, ext..) and haven’t seen a 2017 or newer P100D with FSD in the 30s. At all. Let alone 35k. (With a clean title)

Low 40s is a competitive price depending on overall condition and history or the car. That is however a good price for today…
… prices on these cars have been dropping quickly. If you wait a bit SneepeZ won’t be far off.
My mistake. I didn't notice he was referring to a P100D and not a 100D. I guess something in the $42k range would be fair. The 100D can be found for $35k in the So. Cal area.

If your budget allows it, strongly consider the value of all that a newer raven platform car gives you as well as 3 additional years of warranty over the P100D. The adaptive suspension, 1-pedal driving, longer range, faster charging, better sound damping, and of course more power, are all worthwhile upgrades.
Would love to know where to find charging rates! Even specced rates would be helpful Range easy to find. Drawing blanks on charginbg rates.

If your budget allows it, strongly consider the value of all that a newer raven platform car gives you as well as 3 additional years of warranty over the P100D. The adaptive suspension, 1-pedal driving, longer range, faster charging, better sound damping, and of course more power, are all worthwhile upgrades.
Any suggestions as to how to quantify "faster charging??" Very important in my value equation.
Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla