Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing a 2022 or 2018 M3LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the option to purchase a 2022 M3LR AWD black on black with 90k for 16,900. This was a Hertz 'released' car. It's in great condition, but the mileage and unknown history makes me weary. The dealer has gone through it and replaced everything that needed to be addressed. Battery is at about 92%. The dealer also has a local one-owner 2018 M3LR AWD black on black that is in excellent condition with 60k, battery at 95%. Both are accident free with clean CarFaxes. They will sell the 2018 to me for the same price, 16,900 out the door. Yes, the warranty on the powertrain is less on the 18, and many of the features (interior/exterior/software) will be inferior, but the history and mileage have me leaning toward the 18. I know it's lived a gentler life, and I'm assuming supercharged wayyy less. Any thoughts/perspectives?

Battery warranty on both is 120k miles, but the 2018 will also expire in 2026 assuming you stay under that mileage.

I love my 2019. I have heard of some recent problems with and getting parts to repair PTC heaters if they fail. If this remains true, it would be a vote in favor of the 2022 that primarily uses a heat pump.

The 2022 would have battery warranty to 2030 if you don't drive much and can keep it under 120k miles.

Most of my points were on battery warranty. There are reasons this currently matters on 2012-2014 Model S, but there haven't been many examples of battery type issues being a factor on 3's as of yet. If you ask me what I'd do - I'd probably lean toward the 2022 assuming they're in similar physical condition.

Buy the 2018 and tell me where the dealer is so I can buy the clearly superior 2022 ;)

The 'history' doesn't matter with a Tesla, especially if the dealer has done their inspection and replaced worn out or broken parts. Unlike a gas car, a Tesla has very few moving components, so the risk of a random part falling apart due to user abuse is negligible.

Model 3 batteries don't really fail. I expect a LR battery to last 300k-500k miles so the difference of 30k miles is small. And the 2022 battery is higher capacity, so the 2022 vehicle has longer range than the 2018.

The 2022 is superior to the 2018 in every single way. We're talking about 4 years of improvement for a car that's been manufactured for 6 years. The enhancements are too numerous to list. They're basically 2 different generations.

Seriously, get the 2022 right now or it'll be gone before the weekend.

Reactions: ODWms
Wow, I didn't think with the rental background the 22 would be so popular here. Truth be, I already signed the P&S for the 22, but haven't taken delivery yet so there was time to swap. It is very nice - like I said, completely gone through and the only 'larger' part it needed was a wheel bearing. That's replaced, and they even repainted the front bumper bc I complained about a crack in the paint. It also will have brand new Continentals on all 4 corners when picking it up. The best part was that with my state & fed EV rebates, my 2018 trade was worth 17200 (and is paid off), so I walked out of the dealer 'purchasing' the 2022 for 400 bucks total post taxes and fees :) I also drive about 4-5000 miles a year max since my office is 1.5 miles from my house. So another 30k to warranty expiration will most likely take the duration of the remainder of warranty years for me.

Reactions: ODWms
Good purchase…well done 👍🏽
Question…what is the exact expiry date of the battery warranty ? This will tell you the original sale date and then you can hone in on what specific features your car came with at the time. 2022 saw some improvements in the screen hardware chip, dual pane front glass etc and hopefully you have Ultrasonic sensors as they were discontinued at some point!.

Again you got a great deal :)

Good purchase…well done 👍🏽
Question…what is the exact expiry date of the battery warranty ? This will tell you the original sale date and then you can hone in on what specific features your car came with at the time. 2022 saw some improvements in the screen hardware chip, dual pane front glass etc and hopefully you have Ultrasonic sensors as they were discontinued at some point!.

Again you got a great deal :)
The door jam label shows the car was built in March 2022. The car does have USS.

Reactions: Destiny1701