Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 - Pivotal Year for SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me of an interaction with a hospital inspector scolding me for using an acronym, informing me that JACHO knew better. She stormed away when I asked her why she used the acronym JACHO instead of the organization's full name.

Except it is JCAHO Joint Commission on Accredation of Health Care Organizations so she didn't know it either. A pet peeve is HIPAA, Health Insurance Portabilibity and Accountability Act which is really about permitting Health Care Organizations to transmit your information without your approval to other health care organizations.

If all that is accomplished it will be a fantastic 2018. Anything I’m missing
The success of the unmanned and manned Dragon 2 capsules would be at the top of my list for 2018 SpaceX milestones. While a FH failure will result in a redo, Crew Dragon has to prove it can bring everyone back alive. NASA's current baseline for acceptable crew risk is 1/270 missions. NASA evaluating CCP Loss Of Crew and Mishap procedures – NASASpaceFlight.com
With future BFR plans in the works, I presume SpaceX is striving to move far beyond that ratio.

Elon time can be merciless on realizing schedules, but sometimes his prediction calendar has been in sync. Contingent on the the aforementioned, there's the 2018 chance of two unknown wealthy hotshots live streaming some interesting HD video of the earth and moon, while establishing a new distance record for humans.

there's the 2018 chance of two unknown wealthy hotshots live streaming some interesting HD video of the earth and moon, while establishing a new distance record for humans.
I didn’t put that on my list because we’ve had zero news about it. While on the one hand I think it would be cool and maybe get people excited about space, on the other hand it seems kind of pointless and a distraction for SpaceX.

I didn’t put that on my list because we’ve had zero news about it. While on the one hand I think it would be cool and maybe get people excited about space, on the other hand it seems kind of pointless and a distraction for SpaceX.

SpaceX needs money. If they cannot do this then they should stop dreaming about Mars.

Of course SpaceX earns money.
Spacex will have decades of commercial launch dominance | NextBigFuture.com

Or did you simple mean to imply they don't turn down rocket business?
color me slightly confused
Founding a Mars colony is enormously expensive. Of course they they won't turn down rocket business. Certainly not one which is good exercise for journey to Mars.

I don't believe SpaceX has dominance for decades. Chinese and Blue Origin will prevent it. Others are also busy making plans right now or they are very stupid.

Lots of ways SpaceX can benefit from a private pay moonshot, whether it happens in 2018 or later. It's fantastic that Elon sold this. Who else could make money while testing so many systems? Three off the top, life support, communication, heat shield. For example, beyond LEO there's no quick reentry option if a CO2 scrubber fails in the life support system.
The FAA is the regulatory agency here, adding much uncertainty to this mission. The FAA could also be a major scheduling demon for SpaceX by requiring more extensive unmanned testing of these and other systems.

Reactions: Grendal
Lots of ways SpaceX can benefit from a private pay moonshot, whether it happens in 2018 or later. It's fantastic that Elon sold this. Who else could make money while testing so many systems? Three off the top, life support, communication, heat shield. For example, beyond LEO there's no quick reentry option if a CO2 scrubber fails in the life support system.
The FAA is the regulatory agency here, adding much uncertainty to this mission. The FAA could also be a major scheduling demon for SpaceX by requiring more extensive unmanned testing of these and other systems.

I'm with you and others that this will be a significant achievement for SpaceX and the launch business in general. I didn't add it to the achievements for 2018 since I don't think SpaceX will manage to pull off the timing for next year. With no incidents, I'm certain they can do this in 2019. To add to your list, I think just the fact that an average citizen (though incredibly wealthy) will be able to take a trip into space is huge. Space is usually reserved for representatives of a government and paid for by the government supporting them. This will be more than just a simple joy ride. This is a private citizen being an explorer and pushing the boundaries. I expect this will inspire a new generation and usher in a new age of exploration. This is an important stepping stone to the Moon, Mars, and Beyond. The next big step that I hope to see in my lifetime is to see industry happening in space, for space.

Lots of ways SpaceX can benefit from a private pay moonshot, whether it happens in 2018 or later. It's fantastic that Elon sold this. Who else could make money while testing so many systems? Three off the top, life support, communication, heat shield.
It seems like a poor plan to me to make such a manned mission a test flight for critical life support systems. As of now, SpaceX has no real world experience in space with life support systems. In the second half of 2018 SpaceX plans to make their first manned flight to LEO. I hope it goes well, of course. But I think it unlikely that in 2018 SpaceX will risk the lives of two private citizens on a mission that will take them farther away from Earth than anyone has ever travelled. And it is about a 7 day mission in total. I think SpaceX will need more manned flight experience before attempting that mission.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm in agreement with the last several posts...other than I'm wondering if others don't agree with me that this is not what I consider exploring.
Nifty.
Cool.
Necessary, in a breaking-of-the-gummint-only tradition.
Jealousy-producing<===oh, yes.

But not exploration.

....and after deleted years, it still rankles that my grad school officemate got to go dive in the Alvin, and not me....

I'm in agreement with the last several posts...other than I'm wondering if others don't agree with me that this is not what I consider exploring.
Nifty.
Cool.
Necessary, in a breaking-of-the-gummint-only tradition.
Jealousy-producing<===oh, yes.

But not exploration.

....and after deleted years, it still rankles that my grad school officemate got to go dive in the Alvin, and not me....
What is exploration? If I travel to America, everything I found has been found by someone else already. Same was true for Christopher Columbus. If a tourist goes where no other tourist has gone, isn't it exploration?

If a tourist goes where no other tourist has gone, isn't it exploration?

Think of it this way: When Columbus went to Americas, he had seen both Europe and America, and knows intimately about Europe, its geography, people, weather and conditions (of course he is from Europe). Now the natives knew nothing about Europe.

From the American natives perspective, he explored their continent. For the rest of the world he discovered a new world.

But not exploration.
What is exploration?
Your definition of “exploration” appears to be different than how @AudubonB is using the term. Which is fine; as long as both of you are clear on how you define the term than you can disagree.

Here are two dictionary definitions:

the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it. "voyages of exploration"

thorough analysis of a subject or theme.

I think it is reasonable to say that the SpaceX “tourist” moon mission that Elon has spoken of this year does not qualify as “exploration” in that humans have already travelled to the Moon and back.

Your definition of “exploration” appears to be different than how @AudubonB is using the term. Which is fine; as long as both of you are clear on how you define the term than you can disagree.

Here are two dictionary definitions:

the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it. "voyages of exploration"

thorough analysis of a subject or theme.

I think it is reasonable to say that the SpaceX “tourist” moon mission that Elon has spoken of this year does not qualify as “exploration” in that humans have already travelled to the Moon and back.

I don't have strong opinion what exploration means. If I go to unfamiliar (for me) area, is it exploration?

We have mapped Mars with wavelengths from radio to gamma rays. When first humans go there they have habitat waiting. They go in and turn lights on. Are they really going to unfamiliar area? I think it's more like exploring what humans can do.

First tourists to the Moon are also exploring what we can do. There is huge difference in cost compared to Apollo. I hope that we have some day hotel on the Moon. It will not produce any new science, but might help paying science station.

It seems like a poor plan to me to make such a manned mission a test flight for critical life support systems. As of now, SpaceX has no real world experience in space with life support systems. In the second half of 2018 SpaceX plans to make their first manned flight to LEO. I hope it goes well, of course. But I think it unlikely that in 2018 SpaceX will risk the lives of two private citizens on a mission that will take them farther away from Earth than anyone has ever travelled. And it is about a 7 day mission in total. I think SpaceX will need more manned flight experience before attempting that mission.

Agree that using people in a first test is not a good idea. I believe Dragon 2 capsules will be going to ISS before people are sent around the moon.

Current Dragon capsules maintain pressure and temperature for the cargo (living and otherwise) on board. Adding sufficient water, food, and proven oxygen/ CO2/ water vapor systems are solved problems from previous space systems (however any new instantiation should be verified).

Reactions: jkn
Okay, no more from me about acronyms, which is not the topic of this thread. :)

So what goals can we expect SpaceX to accomplish in 2018? Here’s my list:

Successful FH launch and then the first commercial FH missions for paying customers
Introduction of F9 Block 5 and retirement of earlier F9 versions
Successful Crew Dragon unmanned test flights
First Crew Dragon manned flight to ISS
30+ F9 launches
Begin construction of BFR in new LA or Long Beach facility (I’m surprised its exact location is still unknown outside of SpaceX)
Launch of first two Starlink sats for testing the technology

If all that is accomplished it will be a fantastic 2018. Anything I’m missing?

Well, I'd explicitly say successful Crew Dragon unmanned test flights _docking at ISS. SpaceX releases video of first docking with "On the Beautiful Blue Danube" as soundtrack.
Plus SpaceX catches and re-uses fairing.

I don't believe SpaceX has dominance for decades. Chinese and Blue Origin will prevent it. Others are also busy making plans right now or they are very stupid.
Has Blue Origin launched a satellite? Guess Bezos really only need supply rocket motor to ULA [Boeing/Lockheed Martin]
As US Congress really doesn't like ULA using RD-180.

Chinese. Will USAF use China if they are cheaper than ULA? Musk had to sue AirForce just to be allowed to bid. Elon taking space launches private really is changing satellite world. Interesting to see if China builds/offers launches for the other half of the world. Obviously a huge market potential, as Trump would say. Will those morons, I mean our illustrious leaders in DC allow US companies to do business with China? India and Japan and Airbus are all still in the game [will they change to compete with SpaceX?

So far, please correct me where you see I'm wrong, ULA still gets $1 billion a year to start and about 4 times higher cost. Seems like SpaceX on path to "own" the private launches and only governments can afford the others. So far no one seems able to challenge Tesla cars (I still can't believe) - but that is largely because of battery supplies and the on going distraction of building ICE at a rate of about 80 million per year. And I think Blue Origin is only at the "grasshopper" stage right now. Anyone else even trying to land rockets?

China and Musk may be the best hope for an open internet. Really are interesting times.

Busy making plans ...

side note: the one area Musk seems to have messed up is the installation of Residential PV systems. Which I think is the only area he has actually lost sales volume. Where are competitors in that area?? Are they missing a great opportunity?