Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service mode "CCS Retrofit" option - doesn't seem to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the CCS retrofit on my 2019 Model 3 today (with the bundle of wires and new ECU).

Sometime recently Tesla added a "CCS Retrofit" button in service mode. I was expecting to be able to use that to clear all the usual errors that occur after, instead of going through the software reinstall process.

But it doesn't seem to do anything. I did it twice and each time the car rebooted and nothing changed. The faults remained. My car is running 2023.27.7.

I then did the reinstall and that was successful. Tested L2 and Supercharging and both worked. And the car shows CCS Adapter Enabled. Just sharing here in case anyone else is wondering about that button in service mode!

I'm kind of curious if it's just a broken feature in service mode, or if it's meant to do something else.

IMG_8092.jpeg
IMG_8096.jpeg
IMG_8110.jpeg

Might be for people who are getting the retrofit, not the hack. The retrofit probably has a different ECU that doesn't require a bundle of wires, or a whole different charge port for the car, one that has the modern heating capability.

Last edited:
Apparently so. What's the point of this procedure then if you have to do a software reinstall anyway? Are you supposed to the "CCS Retrofit" procedure after the software reinstall? Or maybe like @israndy mentioned maybe it's for an official retrofit that won't require a software reinstall. Hmm.

Regardless, I guess the conclusion for anyone doing the CCS ECU replacement is don't bother with this procedure, just do the software reinstall.

Apparently so. What's the point of this procedure then if you have to do a software reinstall anyway? Are you supposed to the "CCS Retrofit" procedure after the software reinstall? Or maybe like @israndy mentioned maybe it's for an official retrofit that won't require a software reinstall. Hmm.
I think it is actually for the Model S&X, which you don't replace the ECU, you add a new ECU inline with the existing one. But if that is the case I would expect them to hide it on the Model 3&Y.

That theory makes sense! No software reinstall needed for S/X I guess then.

Would be nice if they hid it on non-applicable cars, but hey it's service mode. It's not meant to be polished or well documented. No complaints here.