Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does basic AP change langes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2018 Model 3 with Enhanced AP and a 2023 Model X with basic AP. Our 3 month trial of FSD is just over and now I'm dealing with basic AP on our X and I just found out that it doesn't change lanes when I turn on the turn signal while AP is engaged. Is it true that basic AP doesn't allow for lane changing??

No, it's not lame.

You purchased a car without EAP. You could have purchased the car with EAP.
It actually is quite lame in how it operates.

I don’t expect automatic lane change with basic autopilot, but it’s completely asinine that the system cancels autosteer and makes you manually re-engage every single time you want to manually change lanes.

No automatic or manual lane changes. You have to cancel autopilot and then re-engage autopilot every time.

To be clear, what you need to do is move the turn signal - all the way. Then when you apply a steering input Autosteer will disengage, however, TACC will not. Once the lane change has been completed you re-engage Autosteer.

I actually prefer this method in traffic as the auto lane change function is, for me, timid and slow in changing lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: nicksp and JB47394
To be clear, what you need to do is move the turn signal - all the way. Then when you apply a steering input Autosteer will disengage, however, TACC will not. Once the lane change has been completed you re-engage Autosteer.

I actually prefer this method in traffic as the auto lane change function is, for me, timid and slow in changing lanes.
I find with the latest updates the wheel no longer resists you as much to change lanes even with the turn signal on half press. Which that should not even be a differentiation factor in the first place because they are functionally the same now whether first or second detent if you have auto cancel turned on.

The main point of contention is the no automatic re-engagement after completion of the lane change. The car knows the lane change is complete since it auto cancels the signal. Just make it re-engage autopilot as well.

Also if you have single press to enable autopilot turned on, it completely cancels the system not just autosteer.

Just make it re-engage autopilot as well.

Would be nice but we know this is all about marketing and selling EAP as a product.

Also if you have single press to enable autopilot turned on, it completely cancels the system not just autosteer.

True, and a good point! But if the one pull option is selected I believe you cannot access TACC alone. I find I use TACC almost all of the time and engage Autosteer a lot less, so I am not in the one pull camp.

Reactions: OxBrew and E90alex