Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S 75D - are these good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the problem your facing is that it's an expensive car that is going (gone?) off warranty. It could be just fine, but it also could end up being expensive. Potential large expenditures are battery and drive units, less expensive (but not trivial) are things like displays, suspension etc. This isn't all that much different from buying any other used expensive cars, repairs can be a significant cost. What is somewhat different is that there a fewer non-dealer shops working on these cars so lesser cost repair options are less common if not non-existent. If you can afford a future $15K repair cost, then you'll likely love the car and hopefully you wouldn't have to cough large $ in the near future.
You are scaring me I just bought 2018 26k miles

You are scaring me I just bought 2018 26k miles
I've got a 2015 p85d, battery and motor warranty is about to expire (november). I've been contemplating this, and have come to the conclusion that I still love the car, and it's in great shape. I'm keeping it, and banking some cash for future expenses, which will without doubt be way less than an new MS!

Reactions: Nissanman
So the problem your facing is that it's an expensive car that is going (gone?) off warranty. It could be just fine, but it also could end up being expensive. Potential large expenditures are battery and drive units, less expensive (but not trivial) are things like displays, suspension etc. This isn't all that much different from buying any other used expensive cars, repairs can be a significant cost. What is somewhat different is that there a fewer non-dealer shops working on these cars so lesser cost repair options are less common if not non-existent. If you can afford a future $15K repair cost, then you'll likely love the car and hopefully you wouldn't have to cough large $ in the near future.
All out of warranty used cars have the potential of becoming "piggy banks". 2018 Model S still have battery and drive unit warranty left, so most expensive components are covered. I drove my 2015 till almost the end of 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. My total repair costs between year 4 and year 8 was ~$500 - needed a new 12V battery, a door handle fix ($2 in parts), and some 3 way coolant valve was leaking. I also replaced the EMMC ($80 parts) but that's now covered with a recall for free (I actually let them do it out just before selling the car), so I didn't count it.

Lowest risk for repair costs is always a new car, but you pay premium for new. So I guess a cheap new car is best, for EV's perhaps Chevy Bolt? Of course if you want more than just basic EV transportation, price goes up from there. I enjoy driving cars I like, so I pay a lot more money than for a Bolt. Overall if I was to recommend a good solid EV to people who can afford more than the minimum, a new Model 3 or Model Y which you keep up to 8 years. Personally I moved away from the brand, but that's because I am willing to pay significantly more money for a luxury performance product which Tesla does not offer (at least at this time).