Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S "oil in coolant"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that when the brake pads were replaced, that someone tried to top up the brake fluid level, but poured it into the coolant tank?

Brake fluid isn't an oil. It's more like a coolant. It would probably mix with coolant and not be noticeable. By the looks of it, that was oil in his coolant system.

1701643401238.png

1701643470724.png

I would take that car back and refuse to take it home and refuse to leave until you speak to the Manager of that Service Center. Make a big fuss.

This is why and how Tesla is going to lose a lot of customer...POOR SERVICE...drives me nuts.

We thought of the brake fluid, but on top of the info given in the preceding posts the discs/pads were replaced before the HV battery, so any contamination would have been detected when the HV battery was replaced...

If anyone knows of a lab that can distinguish between different types of oil/fluid this would be useful info for us thank you

That does look like sabotage and I doubt that Tesla service center would do it. Likely came from break and tire place and done by someone hating the EV's Crazy people.
We really have nothing to base this on. How much contaminated fluid are we talking about here? This could have a disgruntled Tesla Service Tech doing something on their way out (rage-quitting), could have been an honest mistake (happens all of the time), or perhaps a part was replaced and had some contaminates somewhere on an inlet or outlet. I mistook an exterior bolt on a transmission case for a drain plug when I was 16. Out came all of the transmission fluid but so did the detent ball and spring. It was a pain to replace but it was necessary so that you didn't have to manually hold the gear selector into 2nd gear without it popping out.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko
We thought of the brake fluid, but on top of the info given in the preceding posts the discs/pads were replaced before the HV battery, so any contamination would have been detected when the HV battery was replaced...
I do not believe this is a reasonable assumption. I seriously doubt the HV battery replacement procedure involves any manner of inspecting the coolant beyond topping up the reservoir and purging the air in the system at the end of the procedure. Hell, the contamination might have caused the errors that made the battery fail too.

I’m in the “brake shop did this” camp. Not in a sabotage way, in the “inexperienced tech put brake fluid in the coolant reservoir and kept his mouth shut to keep his job” way.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko
Well if it is for the one valve it should take half the time hopefully. Half the labour and cost for just the single valve. That would tie in with someone else mentioning theirs cost about 280 quid

Wonder if the cold has caused it - minus 6 here today and don't think its been that cold in the 2.5 years i've had the car