Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 P100D Brakes...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier I was going about 70 on the highway and needed to come to a full stop. I would say I got on my brakes PRETTY early and as I got closer and closer the brakes weren't really biting. Long story short I had to swerve out of the way but 100% I would've stopped in any other car I've had before. I have read that the brakes are not up to par for this car so I'm wondering what pads/rotors do you guys use? I'm not sure if I currently have OEM brakes but the car was bought used at about 46k miles so I'm sure these are still the stock brakes. Maybe I need new pads in general OR maybe what I've read is true.. these brakes simply suck lol

Was your regen not working or set to the low setting? On my P85D, letting off the accelerator at 70MPH, the regen would slow the car down drastically and even faster if I apply the brakes. You must have needed to stop really fast, really quick, and within limited range of whatever you were about to hit?

Also, our cars being as heavy as a Ford F150 truck doesn't help. I'm always afraid to turn off the cruise control on the highway knowing that the moment I turn off the cruise, the regen will kick in and slow down the car enough that I might get rear ended if the person behind me isn't paying attention.

Was your regen not working or set to the low setting? On my P85D, letting off the accelerator at 70MPH, the regen would slow the car down drastically and even faster if I apply the brakes. You must have needed to stop really fast, really quick, and within limited range of whatever you were about to hit?

Also, our cars being as heavy as a Ford F150 truck doesn't help. I'm always afraid to turn off the cruise control on the highway knowing that the moment I turn off the cruise, the regen will kick in and slow down the car enough that I might get rear ended if the person behind me isn't paying attention.
Nah I had regen on and it definitive was on the standard setting. I don't know why I wasn't slowing down faster because I know exactly what you mean. But it was really weird. The regen wasn't working that well in that particular moment and then brakes were just kinda shot I had to swerve or def would've rear ended them and prob totaled the car