Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 vs 2019 M3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you have personally checked every Model 3 with HW3 there is no way you can support that conclusion. And what you read on TMC is not a random sample of all Model 3 cars with HW3. It’s a self-selected sample that is highly biased towards the cars with issues. So while there are certainly a number of cars with the issue, you have no way of determining what fraction of all cars have the issue.

Ok then. You’re welcome to believe that only a few cars have this issue. I’m happy to bet they all do with HW3. Pre-HW3 doesn’t exhibit this issue. Tesla Bjorn noticed it straight away with HW3, and noted Tesla hacker greentheonly noticed it after he did his own HW3 upgrade.

I will concede that I do get the odd out-of-order frame on the reversing camera, but it seems to be a fairly consistent 30 FPS for me which is more than sufficient to purpose. As for ranging concerns, that is largely a matter of just getting used to it, but you could possibly train yourself with a few metersticks laid out on the ground behind the car to help you get a feel for the fisheye refraction.

Fairly consistent 25-30fps in the Model 3 vs completely consistent 60fps on any other car. I expect better.

(emphasis mine)

This claim is laughable on its face. In many rentals, test drives, and observations of friends' cars over the years, one is largely lucky to get anything in excess of 20 FPS.

Please let me know which cars you’re referring to. Even a base VW Golf has a 60fps camera.

Also we’re not even talking “over the years.” Let’s just go with 2018 onward, so it’s a fair comparison.