Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1.2 TACC slows for sharp curves on two lane roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, I was poking along and cars were catching up, so I activated cruise control to speed up to the speed limit (gotta luv the right wheel button for speed control) . Then I came to a corner with a yellow information street sign suggesting 30 mpg. The speed limit there was 55 but I had hands on the wheel and I thought I’d try the low center gravity turn, no cars nearby except behind, so I entered the curve and the car slowed down to about 43 which was about what I would have taken the curve when I drove it myself. I was surprised. In the past Autopilot would try and drive thru at 55 and I’d take control to slow it down. There were a few more high speed curves coming that Autopilot had never made it thru, so I left TACC on, gripped the wheel and watched. It slowed down appropriately for all of them. I’ve never allowed it to drive that road completely in Autopilot. If they repaint the lines I’ll try aAtopilot, or if I get HW3, I’ll try Autopilot. Those will likely happen at the same time in the distant future.

The car slowly dramatically to 39 around a particularly sharp corn (recommended yellow sign saying 25). Around the less sharp turns, it slowed to 49 mph and 45 mph. It was very smooth and I was comfortable at those speeds. I think it is an improvement in the TACC/Autopilot to recognize curves and slow appropriately.

The new neural net in 2019.12.1.2 is much better on two lane roads! Well at least the ones with curves.

Reactions: Fair Verona
This functionality has been present since at least 2015 when I got my (AP1) P85D. I personally hate the behavior. I want CC to be CC, not "CC unless we think you should go a different speed because reasons". It makes me miss my 2012 Sig which had regular cruise control.