Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.5.16 Vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - but do you have sentry mode activated? I just got updated this weekend from 2018 - so just got sentry mode, etc. I lost 16 miles with the car parked for 24 hours. I had sentry mode on and noticed the car wasn't "asleep" - it was "parked". I had a similar issue that I attributed to a charging error back in November - thought it might have been the same thing. But, I turned sentry mode off a few hours ago and haven't noticed any drain since then - and the car is back to being asleep.

I've definitely been experiencing this since 5.15. It went from 2-3 miles a day to about a mile an hour when it's not plugged in. Car never seems to sleep anymore, as even in the morning when I open the app it connects immediately.

I don't have anything plugged into the 12V, I don't have sentry mode or climate on, so I have no idea what's going on. Tried reboot, didn't fix it. Now I'm just hoping they fix it in the next update, since this is pretty annoying.

I’ve noticed additional drain. I selected sentry mode from the screen in the vehicle and haven’t activated it within the app yet. It seems as if it’s acting like sentry mode is somehow active even though I haven’t selected it within the app. No climate control enabled. Or maybe it’s something else?

I’ve noticed additional drain. I selected sentry mode from the screen in the vehicle and haven’t activated it within the app yet. It seems as if it’s acting like sentry mode is somehow active even though I haven’t selected it within the app. No climate control enabled. Or maybe it’s something else?

on 2019.5.15 sentry mode is constantly recording despite not being enabled when the car is still awake. I'm not too sure when the car is a asleep. You can verify this by plugging in your USB into your computer and doing a file scan to recover files (because windows says there's something broken with the drive). The recovered files will contain the last minute of recording up to the point where you unplugged your usb drive.

There's also a sleep bug introduced in 2019.5.15 where if you have your car plugged into the charger and not charging your car will not sleep for 2 hours and your car will not shore power from the charger.

I don't think there's any need to also activate it within the app. If you turned it on in the car it will be on.

Every few hours it starts charging again to top off.

I'm not getting that and it was mentioned that, that happens if you have a schedule set.

BTW, one time when I opened the app it started charging. I wonder if folks running apps are triggering it to charge (by waking it up).

Ming before and after this update still has insomnia every day or so to "massage the charge port" for 6 hours. No difference (still bad).
Sometimes it drops more miles in a day than I do driving in a day.

Not sure about that. I thought the sentry mode button on the car screen allows you to select that feature and if you wanted to activate it you have to use the app each time you park.
I thought the story was you had to choose either one each time you parked. Have you checked if the car setting is permenently on? I’ll bet it’s not.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
I thought the story was you had to choose either one each time you parked. Have you checked if the car setting is permenently on? I’ll bet it’s not.
Oh, ok. So it’s not the same as ie; selecting summon in the car and it’s always on so you can use it with the app or keyfob. Didn’t realize that you can choose to select it within the car or the app and it’s the same thing.

I have .5.15 and drains a lot, I noticed when I open the Tesla app it never needs to wake up the car. Looks like car isn’t going in sleep mode at all anymore. Are you guys seeing this as well with 5.16?

No Sentry mode. I read in another thread Stats might be causing this. I logout from Stats and car still not going into sleep.

Yes I have rebooted the car after the update, I always do on the next day and never right after the update to allow time for the new update to do whatever it needs to do.

I had 2019.5.15 in my Model 3 parked at the airport for 5 days. I never checked status with the app while I was away, and lost only 2.17 miles/day (rated miles).

About a year ago, I lost 5.6 miles/day over a 5 day airport stay. I did check car status with the app once or twice.

Perhaps there are car-to-car differences that cause different vampire loss rates with the same software?

GSP