Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 IRS Form 8911 Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turbo Tax does have Form 8911 that you can fill out for tax year 2019. However, after you finish with the deductions section a screen comes up that says they are still working on the tax form. Checked for updates today but nothing new. Hopefully soon is real soon.

Here is a screen shot from this morning.

TurboTax Form 8911 Soon.jpg

Turbo Tax does have Form 8911 that you can fill out for tax year 2019. However, after you finish with the deductions section a screen comes up that says they are still working on the tax form. Checked for updates today but nothing new. Hopefully soon is real soon.

View attachment 514250
I filled out TurboTax today and it let me fill in the information for the 8911, but it incorrectly kept telling me that my credit was zero dollars. Spent an hour on the phone with them and they finally told me the form must not be ready and I would have to send it in later to amend my taxes if I want the credit. Has anyone gotten the form 8911 to work on TurboTax?

I downloaded the form from the IRS website and started working on it myself. Don’t feel like waiting for TurboTax to get their act together for adding 8911 to an amended 2018 return.

How is it going with this? My taxes are prepared by a CPA. She wants $150 for completing the 8911 and filing an amended return for 2018 to get the credit for the HPWC I had installed. That's a big chunk of what I would get back, so I thought about doing it myself. It would have to be done by hand and it looks kind of annoying to do.

How is it going with this? My taxes are prepared by a CPA. She wants $150 for completing the 8911 and filing an amended return for 2018 to get the credit for the HPWC I had installed. That's a big chunk of what I would get back, so I thought about doing it myself. It would have to be done by hand and it looks kind of annoying to do.

I started working on it but only got 1/2 way through. Juggling a lot of things right now so haven’t had time to finish yet. Just follow the instruction sheet for the form from the IRS and you’ll be fine. I had to re-read some parts of the instructions to be certain of a few things. It’s no wonder many people prefer a professional to do their taxes for them. The way the instructions are worded makes my head spin.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and Stach

View attachment 514250

Yes, I too saw this screen but the form is filled out and my return was accepted...

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
Yes, I too saw this screen but the form is filled out and my return was accepted...

I thought about going ahead with filing my return as well. The form is filled out and it does show up when I print my PDF version of the tax return. Wonder if TurboTax accidentally left the flag in place about Form 8911 Coming Soon. If there are no updates for TT in next few days I will probably go ahead and file away.

I filled out TurboTax today and it let me fill in the information for the 8911, but it incorrectly kept telling me that my credit was zero dollars. Spent an hour on the phone with them and they finally told me the form must not be ready and I would have to send it in later to amend my taxes if I want the credit. Has anyone gotten the form 8911 to work on TurboTax?

I used TurboTax online and Form 8911 is not calculating correctly; It is figuring the credit at $0. I am waiting for a call back from support but I imagine I will need to wait until they fix the form or amend my return later.

Turbo Tax still shows waiting to update Form 8911, even after I completely filled it out. The form 8911appears in my printed preview copy with the proper credit. I went ahead and E-filed. Everything went OK and has been accepted by the Fed. This was done on a Mac, so Windows PC versions may not be seeing the same thing.

Has anyone successfully had Turbo Tax calculate the rebate on the 8911? I put the info in and its not giving me a credit. I have $700 in total a costs so I should get something but its just staying at 0. Its the only thing stopping us from submitting. The car purchase form worked great.

Has anyone successfully had Turbo Tax calculate the rebate on the 8911?

Yes. See post #48. It worked and e-filed just fine. It was simple to fill in on TurboTax, just entered the cost.

I have heard there are some instances of AMT or other credits that may reduce the Form 8911 credit to zero. Not sure of the exact details though. You should be able to look at the completed Form 8911 by clicking icon in upper left of TurboTax labeled FORMS. This may give you insight on why it show zero.

Can the form be used if I had a plug installed as a renter? We don't currently own but I'd love to get some of that $300 back

Not a tax lawyer but I don't see anything in the instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf that says you have to own the residence just that it has to be "your main home."

If anybody could kindly advise, what are you actually claiming on the 8911? I did the 8936 and got the $1875 and I think it said $456 instant refund or something. Should I be doing the 8911 to? Bought my first and only electric car in October 2019

8911 is for costs associated with installing a charging station. Did you install a 240 volt outlet for your car?

Reactions: mrau and Matsayz
Not a tax lawyer but I don't see anything in the instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf that says you have to own the residence just that it has to be "your main home."

8911 is for costs associated with installing a charging station. Did you install a 240 volt outlet for your car?

Yes, but its just the outlet, not Teslas charging station. I have a regular Nema 240 volt 14-50 plug. I use the Tesla mobile charger that came with the car. I paid an electrician to install the 240V wiring. Does that apply to 8911?

Yes, but its just the outlet, not Teslas charging station. I have a regular Nema 240 volt 14-50 plug. I use the Tesla mobile charger that came with the car. I paid an electrician to install the 240V wiring. Does that apply to 8911?

If you installed the outlet with the primary purpose being to charge an EV, my reading of the instructions are that you are eligible for a credit of 30% of the install costs up to $1,000. But if it's a large amount you might want to consult with a tax accountant.

Reactions: PoitNarf
If you installed the outlet with the primary purpose being to charge an EV, my reading of the instructions are that you are eligible for a credit of 30% of the install costs up to $1,000. But if it's a large amount you might want to consult with a tax accountant.

As @willow_hiller mentioned this does qualify for the credit.

Thanks, y'all are the greatest!!

The 30% tax credit for installing a charging station is good for this year too. So if you're still thinking about adding a Tesla Wall Connector you could get the credit on next years taxes. It was retroactive to 2018 and 2019 and the credit expires Dec 31, 2020.

Reactions: Matsayz