Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3, Charge Port door open and close right away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is the first time it happened. I just parked the Model 3 in my garage, went to the back to open the charge port.
The port opened and then closed right away. A few seconds later, the door locked by itself even though I was right next
to it. I tried several normal ways to open the charge port unsuccessfully.

1. Is it a known bug?
2. Is there a troubleshoot and resolution in the case?

Thanks
De

I've been having this problem of the charge port opening when I push the sensor / charging cable button and then the door closes again after about half a second. I have to then wait 5 to 10 seconds to try again and the flap will stay open so that I can charge on the second go. Tesla wants to charge me for a replacement aaargh

This is the first time it happened. I just parked the Model 3 in my garage, went to the back to open the charge port. The port opened and then closed right away.

My charge door attempts to prematurely clause ~1/4 of the time I open it.
I never found the root cause, but if you insert your fingers in its path, it will back off and reverse into full-open position again.

I'm sure I will break the plastic gears on the port one day (and get it repaired under warranty), but until then, this has been my practical work-around to the problem.

A few seconds later, the door locked by itself even though I was right next to it. I tried several normal ways to open the charge port unsuccessfully.

My unlocks 100% of the time from the app in the cell phone.
If the cell phone is not nearby, you can open it manually by pulling on a cable from inside the trunk.

1. Is it a known bug?

1. Yes.
2. See above.

HTH,
a

Hi,

This is the first time it happened. I just parked the Model 3 in my garage, went to the back to open the charge port.
The port opened and then closed right away. A few seconds later, the door locked by itself even though I was right next
to it. I tried several normal ways to open the charge port unsuccessfully.

1. Is it a known bug?

Thanks
De
Yes many people have been reporting this after upgrading to 2021.40.6. There is another thread about this. In that thread someone was told by Tesla service that it will be resolved in update 2021.44.x