Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.32.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is will some of the features shown with the refreshed S/X be released back to the legacy 3/Y?

Specifically things like gear shift on the screen. Technically even though the 3/Y has a gear shift leaver where the refreshed S/X doesn't (but does have hidden buttons in the center console instead) and uses the screen to shift gears, there is no reason all cars can't get this software update.

There was other stuff like the movable title only shown on the refreshed S/X that unless they need the extra power of the newer processing, there should be no reasons that can't be rolled out to all cars as well.

My question is will some of the features shown with the refreshed S/X be released back to the legacy 3/Y?

Specifically things like gear shift on the screen. Technically even though the 3/Y has a gear shift leaver where the refreshed S/X doesn't (but does have hidden buttons in the center console instead) and uses the screen to shift gears, there is no reason all cars can't get this software update.

There was other stuff like the movable title only shown on the refreshed S/X that unless they need the extra power of the newer processing, there should be no reasons that can't be rolled out to all cars as well.
Part 1: Yes. This has always been the case. Some features start in S/X and progress to 3/Y, but the opposite path is also true.

Part 2: Not everything though. I wouldn't want wasted screen space for gear selector, for instance. But at the same time, the auto gear selector based on AI would be a nice to have - and as far as I know it's coming to our 3/Ys in 2 weeks.

Part 3: MCU2 should have plenty of power to do that. Like, come on, it's constantly rendering a 3D car with a bunch of other things around it, plus smoooooooth maps. Drag/Drop is nothing.

Part 1: Yes. This has always been the case. Some features start in S/X and progress to 3/Y, but the opposite path is also true.

Part 2: Not everything though. I wouldn't want wasted screen space for gear selector, for instance. But at the same time, the auto gear selector based on AI would be a nice to have - and as far as I know it's coming to our 3/Ys in 2 weeks.

Part 3: MCU2 should have plenty of power to do that. Like, come on, it's constantly rendering a 3D car with a bunch of other things around it, plus smoooooooth maps. Drag/Drop is nothing.

Part 2: As I recall it's not really wasted space and it appears when you need it and then disappears. Granted that on a 3/Y screen it's more "wasted" screen over a S/X.

There could always be an option to turn on / off as user preference.

In either case it was just an example of one of several UI updates for refreshed S/X that I haven't really seen Musk mention could come down to either a refreshed (or current) 3/Y.

Part 2: As I recall it's not really wasted space and it appears when you need it and then disappears. Granted that on a 3/Y screen it's more "wasted" screen over a S/X.

There could always be an option to turn on / off as user preference.

In either case it was just an example of one of several UI updates for refreshed S/X that I haven't really seen Musk mention could come down to either a refreshed (or current) 3/Y.
I agree with you, there's always a possibility that it's already working like that so it's just as easy to port. But realistically, I wouldn't use the screen since the stalk is very convenient. Not that I prefer to have the stalk. I'd change my Model Y for a Plaid in a fartbeat!

Elon said the AI gear selector would come to 3/Y, I just don't really feel like digging for his tweet, but you can trust me on that or dig a bit yourself! Hopefully other people have better social media skills than myself or would simply chime in to confirm.