Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased this center console for my 2018 M3P, not sure if this is one that will need the data USB hub?
Part number 1614945-00-A
I have the rear data harness cable adapter on the way as well.
Just need to know if I need to order the USB data hub for this one?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926_213108_dalyslt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_213108_dalyslt.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20230926_213119_dalyslt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_213119_dalyslt.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230926_213159_dalyslt.jpg
    Screenshot_20230926_213159_dalyslt.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 71
Weird every single how-to I've seen has not mentioned to plug into the cigarette lighter...
I've swapped the security module and have a specially made harness for the 2018. The lights inside function normal but have no power to the USB or charging pad.
Can't test data but data cable plugged right in on the right hand side bottom.

Weird every single how-to I've seen has not mentioned to plug into the cigarette lighter...
I've swapped the security module and have a specially made harness for the 2018. The lights inside function normal but have no power to the USB or charging pad.
Can't test data but data cable plugged right in on the right hand side bottom.
i have a 2018 as well and what i did for the usb was to reuse my old one since the plug was different, and for the wireless charging pad i just simply tapped into the cig port, everything works perfect!

i have a 2018 as well and what i did for the usb was to reuse my old one since the plug was different, and for the wireless charging pad i just simply tapped into the cig port, everything works perfect!
According to this post the wireless pad is powered by the CAN bus connector.
But yet I'm not getting anything I wonder if it has to do with that the rear USB port board is currently not there, have one on order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_233549_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_233549_Reddit.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 54
Okay so I'm kind of out of a loss here The front USB plug is not giving power to the USB-C module.
I took the module out and plugged it into the front one where the wireless charging pad is that one's not working but yet if I take that module and put it to the rear USB-C
Works perfectly fine.
What am I missing here to get power on the front USBs?
Using that module on the rear USBs tells me the modules good to go I'm getting power through the console It's just not through that front plug what am I missing here?
Does that plug disconnect anywhere else under the console or what's going on

Attachments

• 20230930_182936.jpg
    20230930_182936.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230930_184556.jpg
    20230930_184556.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230930_190333.jpg
    20230930_190333.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 56
Yes, you need to plug in the harness connector at the rear USB module in order to supply +12V power to the front USB Hub and Wireless Charging Pad. That's just the way power is wired inside the 2.0 Center Console.

If you look at the rear USB module connector, you'll see it has 4-pins. The module only needs two wires (+12V and Ground) to operate. So, the other two pins are for the wires that supply power to the front USB Hub. Then at the USB Hub, same 4-pin connector, with power then being supplied there for the Wireless Charging Pad.

Yes, you need to plug in the harness connector at the rear USB module in order to supply +12V power to the front USB Hub and Wireless Charging Pad. That's just the way power is wired inside the 2.0 Center Console.

If you look at the rear USB module connector, you'll see it has 4-pins. The module only needs two wires (+12V and Ground) to operate. So, the other two pins are for the wires that supply power to the front USB Hub. Then at the USB Hub, same 4-pin connector, with power then being supplied there for the Wireless Charging Pad.
So you're saying that I need the rear USB board in order for it to give power to the front USB?

No, you can do whatever you want. I'm just saying, the factory wiring provides 12 volt power, and Ground, from a wiring chain of charging modules. Here's a screenshot from the Tesla Schematic Diagram, applicable for the 2.0 Center Console, that shows the same thing..

1696174591158.png

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
No, you can do whatever you want. I'm just saying, the factory wiring provides 12 volt power, and Ground, from a wiring chain of charging modules. Here's a screenshot from the Tesla Schematic Diagram, applicable for the 2.0 Center Console, that shows the same thing..

View attachment 978699
Okay I'm confused now I was under the assumption that I would have to have that rear USB board in order for the power to go through the rest of the USBC ports to the front?
Is that not the case?
So do I have a dud wiring harness then if I'm just not getting power to the front USB ports?
Or is it because of that USB-C rear module I'm missing?

Reactions: davidalindsey
I have read a few pages back in this thread that they have gotten the car reconfigured for the 2.0 center console to show up in the UI.
Were there any issues coming from reconfiguring the car for this?
I have my 2018 M3P reconfigured for a PWS and matrix headlights with no issue.
How did you do the matrix headlights? Just with Toolbox? I was speaking to someone about doing this but I haven't yet sourced the headlights, and they wanted $500 to do it - which made it a more expensive proposition than I had hoped.

I wasn't able to get the Tesla tech to change my UI/app console to 2.0 - they said it wasn't something they had access to change. They showed me on the laptop that they were using that it was a field that wans't editable (at least by them). Would be interested to know if it is indeed possible.