Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Tire Fell Off - Get your bolts checked ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a clunking sound in the front end when starting from a stop (in forward or reverse) for several months now. Stock 2020 Model 3 with stock 18" wheels. You mean Tesla would charge me to inspect it to determine what is wrong to cause the noise? I'm afraid to take it in based on the fact that most people who do have a horror story with Tesla service.

Reactions: aerodyne
I've had a clunking sound in the front end when starting from a stop (in forward or reverse) for several months now. Stock 2020 Model 3 with stock 18" wheels. You mean Tesla would charge me to inspect it to determine what is wrong to cause the noise? I'm afraid to take it in based on the fact that most people who do have a horror story with Tesla service.
What you describe is likely the rear brake pads sticking a bit to the rotor. That can happen if it is winter or humid where you are. You might need to get the brake moving parts cleaned and lubricated with special brake hardware grease. The rear brakes are applied by the parking brake motor. When you put it in gear (forward or reverse) and press on the accelerator, the motor retracts and relieves pressure on the rear pads. If the pads are sticking to the rotor or to the clips they slide on, then you will hear and feel a thump of them breaking free as you accelerate.

It seems to me they may provide a quote on issues that could potentially be a customer's responsibility. This occurred on my visit last month for moisture in the taillight. They ended up paying it under warranty. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I don't know if it's fair to say 'most' people have a horror story with Tesla service. My experience has been great the 5 or 6 times I've been there for various issues. I think it depends largely on location, how busy the service center is, etc. Just like all dealerships are not alike, not all Tesla service centers are alike, either.

As far as 'charging' for issues that would seem to be warranty issues, they will give you an estimate to approve. Sometimes the estimate may have charges for an inspection. and sometimes they won't (I've received estimates that had $0.00 as the cost). If the issue is truly a warranty issue, they will zero out any charges you 'approved'. This is contrary to most dealerships, and I think it's a way for them to protect themselves IF they find the issue is not covered under warranty, they can say you approved the estimate for the inspection cost.

I don't know if it's fair to say 'most' people have a horror story with Tesla service. My experience has been great the 5 or 6 times I've been there for various issues. I think it depends largely on location, how busy the service center is, etc. Just like all dealerships are not alike, not all Tesla service centers are alike, either.

Quoted for truth. We have several *amazing* service centers nearby, all of which have treated me incredibly well. I've said - and I repeat on every post-service survey - that our local folks should be training the rest of the country.

So I agree; not all centers are alike, and to categorize all service centers as "horror stories" is a miscalculation.

Quoted for truth. We have several *amazing* service centers nearby, all of which have treated me incredibly well. I've said - and I repeat on every post-service survey - that our local folks should be training the rest of the country.

So I agree; not all centers are alike, and to categorize all service centers as "horror stories" is a miscalculation.
That's great that you have some good places on the east coast. California is schizo. San Diego has at least 3 (maybe 4) service centers and most of them have a good rep, But I've heard bad things about the ones just up north in Orange County.

Reactions: aerodyne
I've experienced the same issue within the last week. Initially got the creaking sound that many have pointed to being an issue with re-greasing the upper control arm, however the clunking/shaking got bad and I discovered the loose bolts on the lower control arm.

I was not at all comfortable driving the car, had it towed to the SC and tried to surface some of the conversations found here and even the recall.

The SC guy told me that, I stated there was an issue with the "lower control arm" however the recall is specifies "lateral link" and that it would not apply. I'm not technician, and so I made the assumption it was lower control arm, but it seems to be the exact issue reported in the recall as well as threads posted here and I feel as if they are just dismissing me in order to hit me with the bill.

I'm out of warranty currently, as this is 2018 model, but under 50k, they gave me an estimate that was 240 for the upper control arm creaking + ANOTHER $240 to inspect the bolts and rattling I experiences. They said these charges would be incurred on top of any service that needs to be carried out which sounds absolutely ridiculous. I feel most times diagnostic charges are then credited to the repair itself, but at any rate I expect them to cover the labor on good faith.

Really curious if anyone's experienced this and has been able to pull a favorable outcome. Is it worth my time to call tesla corporate?