Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Do you find that you have to have the charger plug much closer to the charge port on the S for the charger button to open the charge port? With the Model 3 the button press on the charger handle would activate the flap from quite a few inches away, certainly far enough that the flap doesn’t hit the charge cord as it opens.

I have to be almost touching the flap on the S for the charger button to open it, and have to quickly move my hand away so the flap doesn’t hit the charger. It’s now easier for me to just push the charge flap with my hand with my hand to open it this way…

I wonder if I’m just pointing the charger at the wrong place, too?

I’m guessing it’s just another way in which my car is broken, or course… Even the unlock credit cards don’t work consistently on my B pillar to lock/unlock the car as a backup to the phone. The Model 3 was 100% consistent. Every tap there would lock or unlock. It can take me 25 attempts on the S. Again, not sure if normal or if my car is just a tur…I mean special.
I just tested mine for you and it opens over 3 feet away. Didn't test further because garage wall was in the way. It did not matter which direction it was pointed. My HPWC is also Gen 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
I just tested mine for you and it opens over 3 feet away. Didn't test further because garage wall was in the way. It did not matter which direction it was pointed. My HPWC is also Gen 3.

Thank you for testing. Wow. 3 feet away? I can't open mine unless it's within an inch. Tested on both HWPC Gen 2 and 3. I have to push the button and then hurriedly remove the wall connector from the flap otherwise they smack into each other. Another one to have Tesla fix/replace (you know, along with my High Voltage battery). I hope the antenna is just built into the flap, and doesn't require replacing the whole charging port etc.

Last edited:
Thank you for testing. Wow. 3 feet away? I can't open mine unless it's within an inch. Tested on both HWPC Gen 2 and 3. I have to push the button and then hurriedly remove the wall connector from the flap otherwise they smack into each other. Another one to have Tesla fix/replace (you know, along with my High Voltage battery). I hope the antenna is just built into the flap, and doesn't require replacing the whole charging port etc.
Can you open the charger port with the charger to the left of the port? That way it does not swing open towards the charger. Have you tested with a Supercharger? Given the testing with generation 2 and 3, it definitely sounds car related. But it is another data point.

I would open / add it to your list of items for the service center. That is not the normal behavior.

Can you open the charger port with the charger to the left of the port? That way it does not swing open towards the charger. Have you tested with a Supercharger? Given the testing with generation 2 and 3, it definitely sounds car related. But it is another data point.

I would open / add it to your list of items for the service center. That is not the normal behavior.
Never been to a supercharger so can’t comment on that. Definitely didn’t work properly with gen 2 and gen 3 HWPC. The gen 2 worked fine on my Model 3 for over two years. I’ll add it to the laundry list of things to be fixed, and no it doesn’t work unless I’m within about an inch or two of the flap. If I have an actually working car in the next 3 months I’ll be amazed.

no it doesn’t work unless I’m within about an inch or two of the flap
So that is what I am thinking - be an inch or two from the flap, but to the left side of it (when standing at the car). Basically, with the charger head nearly against the paint of your car. This way it still triggers the charger port due to the proximity, but not "over" the flap so you have to quickly move it. Obviously, this only being a temporary fix until they can resolve the wiring issue.

So that is what I am thinking - be an inch or two from the flap, but to the left side of it (when standing at the car). Basically, with the charger head nearly against the paint of your car. This way it still triggers the charger port due to the proximity, but not "over" the flap so you have to quickly move it. Obviously, this only being a temporary fix until they can resolve the wiring issue.

I think I did try this and it didn’t work. It’s much simpler at this point to just press the port with my hand anyway. It works that way at least.

Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Honestly, if you can wait, wait. This is the worst car purchase I've EVER made. And it's ironically the most expensive car I've ever bought. The list of issues my car has is truly legion:

1.) Blasted speaker grille dent up front by the windshield that requires removing basically the entire dash AND windshield to replace.
2.) Trunk that doesn't close straight (right side first), which requires damaging paint to fix.
3.) Front passenger door that requires noticeably more force to close than any other door and that can't seem to be fixed without damaging paint.
4.) A car that won't charge to full, and has a reported range 15-20% lower than any other Plaid apparently.
5.) A windshield that needed to be replaced due to ripple distortion right in my line of sight.
6.) A rearview mirror that got chipped in the process of replacing the windshield, and now need to also be replaced.
7.) Rear spoiler peeling off the trunk lid.
8.) Since replacing the windshield I get a clicking sound when turning onto steeper driveways. The SC also managed to get debris in between the cameras and the windshield, so that's fun to see.
9.) A dash rattle up front, and a rattle from somewhere in the rear.
10.) Vibrating driver's side mirror on the highway.
11.) Piece of trunk trim that was warped from the factory, and requires replacement.
12.) All side windows and rear glass have warping distortion in them (likely) from the double-pane process. It's awful.
13.) Don't get me started on the yoke/turn signals/horn crap at low speed/maneuvering/three-point turns etc.

Anyone want to buy a Plaid with 800 miles? At the moment I can't stand this car. I really hope the competition steps up because I'd really like this to be the last Tesla I buy based on this experience, which is a world apart from the near-flawless experience I had with my Model 3 Performance back in 2019.
A few more for posterity:

Unable to open the charge port with the HPWC unless about half an inch from the port. Also 10% success rate unlocking door from key card. Lol it’s almost a farce at this point. No, it is a farce.

Anyone want to buy a like-new Plaid in Seattle? Only does about 200 miles to a charge, but ASIDE from that and the 400 other issues, it’s perfect! 🤣

When I read the list of your troubles it is a black cat this car
Did you try to contact the sales department with this list of problems.
[email protected]
You are kidding right? Sales wouldn’t talk to you about sales. From reading this forum I had the greatest sales associate Tesla has. She texted every week and flat out said that they are told nothing. When I got a VIN I called, she logged in and gave me the exact date my car would be delivered. Problems with the car, sales department . 🤣🤣🤣. I’ve called customer support more than 17 times and they could not answer a single question or help me in any way. The contact I have with service texts me within 24 hours he or she is great.
ive decided to add defects to the list I have, make a service appointment, drive two hours to have them look at it, order all the parts needed and then schedule an appointment to do it at once. I would have thousands of miles on my car if I took it in every time something didn’t work.
sales, that’s a good one.

Last edited: