Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone test this out for me?

Everyone leave the car, only one person go into the backseat. Close all doors. Make sure all screens are black. Tap the back screen and turn on the air conditioner using that power button in the middle... does any air come out?
Haven’t specifically tested the way you described, but I did notice that if you stay in the car long enough and the front screen turns off, even if you tap on the rear screen to turn on the AC fan and the graphic shows the fan is blowing, no air comes out.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
How do we know it’s an issue, vs as designed?

Poor design to show the fans blowing but no air coming out. Also poor function to not allow people in the backseat to get air without someone in the front.
I don't know why I read this thread. Arrgh.

If this is an issue... well, let's be honest: it's at the bottom of the list.

Doubt it’s even on the list.

Poor design to show the fans blowing but no air coming out. Also poor function to not allow people in the backseat to get air without someone in the front.

Doubt it’s even on the list.
Likely just something that was overlooked, as the rear screen really hasn’t seemed like a priority to them. However, on the prior generation S/X, the rear AC also turned off when the front screen shuts off from no one in the front seats, and so to make it come back on, you would need to push on the seat to make it think someone sat down, or tap the front screen to reactivate everything. So in that regard, the functionality is the same as before.

Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
Likely just something that was overlooked, as the rear screen really hasn’t seemed like a priority to them. However, on the prior generation S/X, the rear AC also turned off when the front screen shuts off from no one in the front seats, and so to make it come back on, you would need to push on the seat to make it think someone sat down, or tap the front screen to reactivate everything. So in that regard, the functionality is the same as before.
Or camp, dog or other mode

Reactions: impastu
I encountered exactly the same problem in my new Plaid. I drove 167 miles. The Trips indicated 61 kWh used and 361 wh/mi, which was consistent with the way I was driving based on my P85D experience. However the battery dropped from 97% SOC to 12% SOC! That calculates out to a battery capacity of 72 kWh - obviously wrong.

I also have the issue of the battery overcharging vs. the charging limit. I see it claim charging complete at 80% but 30 minutes later the indicated charge is 85% or 86%. I believe these two issues are related.

The car is currently at the SC. I'll report back when there is some resolution

I picked up the car yesterday. Here is what was in the invoice about my battery issues:

"Verified customer concern charged the vehicle for 12 hours set limit to 81%. After 12 hours vehicle charged to 92%. Performed diagnosis and communicated with region for further diagnosis. Seeing some CAC imbalance but not hardware related. The pack is balancing itself out at this time and these issues look firmware related. No further repairs made"

I drove the car to the detailers to get the paint protection film and polymer coating done. The Wh used and change in the SOC were consistent. Hopefully this means the issue has been addressed. I'll do more verification next week when I get the car back.

Reactions: cwanja and impastu
I picked up the car yesterday. Here is what was in the invoice about my battery issues:

"Verified customer concern charged the vehicle for 12 hours set limit to 81%. After 12 hours vehicle charged to 92%. Performed diagnosis and communicated with region for further diagnosis. Seeing some CAC imbalance but not hardware related. The pack is balancing itself out at this time and these issues look firmware related. No further repairs made"

I drove the car to the detailers to get the paint protection film and polymer coating done. The Wh used and change in the SOC were consistent. Hopefully this means the issue has been addressed. I'll do more verification next week when I get the car back.

Thank you for the update. So what was done to address the issue as you said? It doesn’t appear they did anything, unless I’m missing something…

Thank you for the update. So what was done to address the issue as you said? It doesn’t appear they did anything, unless I’m missing something…
The tech reported seeing some CAC (Calculated Amp-hour Capacity) imbalance. He somehow determined it was not hardware related. I don't know what technique he used to get the pack to "balance itself out" but that appeared to do the trick. Of course I have no idea why the battery was delivered in this state in the first place. But the pack no longer charges past the defined limit and the consumption vs. SOC now looks appropriate for a 100 kWh battery.

The tech reported seeing some CAC (Calculated Amp-hour Capacity) imbalance. He somehow determined it was not hardware related. I don't know what technique he used to get the pack to "balance itself out" but that appeared to do the trick. Of course I have no idea why the battery was delivered in this state in the first place. But the pack no longer charges past the defined limit and the consumption vs. SOC now looks appropriate for a 100 kWh battery.

What is your reported 100% charge in miles now via the app when you drag the slider? (You’ll need to set the Display to “Miles” first).

I’d love to know if they can give you more details on how to fix this so the rest of us with this issue can get it resolved. Thanks!

Honestly, if you can wait, wait. This is the worst car purchase I've EVER made. And it's ironically the most expensive car I've ever bought. The list of issues my car has is truly legion:

1.) Blasted speaker grille dent up front by the windshield that requires removing basically the entire dash AND windshield to replace.
2.) Trunk that doesn't close straight (right side first), which requires damaging paint to fix.
3.) Front passenger door that requires noticeably more force to close than any other door and that can't seem to be fixed without damaging paint.
4.) A car that won't charge to full, and has a reported range 15-20% lower than any other Plaid apparently.
5.) A windshield that needed to be replaced due to ripple distortion right in my line of sight.
6.) A rearview mirror that got chipped in the process of replacing the windshield, and now need to also be replaced.
7.) Rear spoiler peeling off the trunk lid.
8.) Since replacing the windshield I get a clicking sound when turning onto steeper driveways. The SC also managed to get debris in between the cameras and the windshield, so that's fun to see.
9.) A dash rattle up front, and a rattle from somewhere in the rear.
10.) Vibrating driver's side mirror on the highway.
11.) Piece of trunk trim that was warped from the factory, and requires replacement.
12.) All side windows and rear glass have warping distortion in them (likely) from the double-pane process. It's awful.
13.) Don't get me started on the yoke/turn signals/horn crap at low speed/maneuvering/three-point turns etc.

Anyone want to buy a Plaid with 800 miles? At the moment I can't stand this car. I really hope the competition steps up because I'd really like this to be the last Tesla I buy based on this experience, which is a world apart from the near-flawless experience I had with my Model 3 Performance back in 2019.
Be strong, at least you get it fast hahaha. I feel like I was punished too for chasing my car with big list of issues too 😂

Can anyone test this out for me?

Everyone leave the car, only one person go into the backseat. Close all doors. Make sure all screens are black. Tap the back screen and turn on the air conditioner using that power button in the middle... does any air come out?
no. The graphic comes on the screen but air doesn't work. Coincidentally did it while alone test sitting a plaid yesterday.

Tilting screen is not advertised. Heated windshield is there (it’s in the black area of the windshield to keep the wipers from freezing).

Sirius isn’t there. ANC is coming “soon”. AutoPark isn’t there currently either (software update at some point).
So there is no Sirius and yet it is listed on my window sticker? That does seem like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

All these issues and things like that may make me cancel my delivery for next week. Plus, the fact that the LR 19’s I ordered are supposed to be all-season tires and sound like they are summer. Don’t need to spend all this money and then spend more money on new tires. I could not imagine if the German automakers did this stuff. Would never get away with it. Makes you hope you win the lottery and pick up a Model S with no issues, which is pathetic for a $80k plus car.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark