Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dennis If it was truly a firmware issue, wouldn't we all have the condition (all, meaning those on that same firmware version and configuration)?
Not necessarily. Remember you had a battery mention in your 32.5 update. I hadn’t seen that reported anywhere else. Very strange.

Attachments

• 88CAAD79-ECE0-4B1E-BFC0-C3406DBF2329.jpeg
    88CAAD79-ECE0-4B1E-BFC0-C3406DBF2329.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 119
Had the Model S LR since Sept 2nd. have over 80 miles (yes we don't drive far!) and it is still calibrating. When did your car stop Calibrating so I could at least try cruise control of FSD?

also still on 2021.11.102 software, no update. and it won't even find my iphone as a hotspot (but it is connected to my home wifi network).

Reactions: impastu
Not asking about dyno mode (but thank you) -- rather the Tes Lax view that @MarkG got working. ...I wasn't aware that anyone had gotten CANbus integration working on a MS refresh yet. Is there a video somewhere showing what it takes?
Head over to this thread for all the details (no video but I posted a lot of details & photos):

@dennis If it was truly a firmware issue, wouldn't we all have the condition (all, meaning those on that same firmware version and configuration)?
It might be an issue related to how the firmware goes about balancing a cell that is out of spec. In that case only those who had that situation would be affected by the bad code.

My service invoice specifically said that it was not a hardware problem. I know that the service tech ran battery diagnostics and got engineering involved when he was not able to resolve the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Have any of the three of you taken your cars to the service center? Is Tesla aware that I am not the only one with this issue?
My earliest appt is Oct 4th, but I have a friend over the yrs that works at a Service Ctr as a SA. So Im waiting for her to get back in so she can nudge a tech for me. Hopefully tomorrow.

Edit: I actually went to a the Van Nuys SC today in the hopes that I could talk to a tech. The girl I spoke with is a "supervisor" and used to be a tech. She says I should leave it at a relatively low SOC and let it rest there so the pack and balance. (the opposite of every other tech has said of course)
She could/would not let me speak to a tech directly.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and MP3Mike
Head over to this thread for all the details (no video but I posted a lot of details & photos):

I actually have this cable from my other cars! Where does it plug in on the refresh cars?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.26.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 6.26.10 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
I actually have this cable from my other cars! Where does it plug in on the refresh cars?
I think it’s right above the inductive charger. When I had my mysterious hard reset and I couldn’t get anything working again the tech said he plugged in right above the inductive chargers for phones etc. Not sure how that trim piece comes off, mind.

I think it’s right above the inductive charger. When I had my mysterious hard reset and I couldn’t get anything working again the tech said he plugged in right above the inductive chargers for phones etc. Not sure how that trim piece comes off, mind.
Yes, thanks! Found it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 7.01.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 7.01.34 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
Had the Model S LR since Sept 2nd. have over 80 miles (yes we don't drive far!) and it is still calibrating. When did your car stop Calibrating so I could at least try cruise control of FSD?

also still on 2021.11.102 software, no update. and it won't even find my iphone as a hotspot (but it is connected to my home wifi network).
Think the manual states 50 miles. But it typically needs to be 50 ”straight”, well marked miles for the cameras to calibrate. I would try driving on a freeway (if possible) for 15 - 20 miles. I think the manual has more information on camera calibration.

• Informative
Don't be shy about requesting (insisting) the interior and exterior alignment be addressed by a 3rd party Tesla-certified body shop. This is what did the trick for our X trunk alignment issues.
I asked them to refer me to a 3rd party certified shop to address my issues and they came back very confused, saying they do not do that and fix these things in house, but could ask if I had a specific shop in mind. Not quite sure how to proceed now, will keep insisting.

Update on this, I canceled my mobile appt after they messaged me (below). Makes sense, I haven’t had any alerts or any real issues. I think I’ve just been in my head about a lot of it. My max miles went up the next day to 367, so seems very variable.
I hope the BMS "unlearns" my earlier aggressive driving style when I first got it and gives me a higher mileage estimate :)

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and cwanja

My Plaid took a little over 200 miles for FSD and I am still at 99% at 350 miles for auto shift into park.

This question maybe too early to ask but maybe some knows the answer. Since Tesla’s don’t have spare tires What do you do when you get a flat on the road. Get towed? To where? Is there something Sold to temporarily inflate your tire or does Tesla not recommend that?

This question maybe too early to ask but maybe some knows the answer. Since Tesla’s don’t have spare tires What do you do when you get a flat on the road. Get towed? To where? Is there something Sold to temporarily inflate your tire or does Tesla not recommend that?
Roadside. They will either bring you a loaner wheel and put your flat in the trunk and you arrange for a replacement through the service center - returning the loaner wheel. Or you are towed.

• Helpful
I asked them to refer me to a 3rd party certified shop to address my issues and they came back very confused, saying they do not do that and fix these things in house, but could ask if I had a specific shop in mind. Not quite sure how to proceed now, will keep insisting.
They're BS'ing you to save $ or don't know.
Here's the shop that the SC in White Plains, NY uses...
They were awesome with communications, diagnosis of many body defects we hadn't even noticed, and repair of the issue that SC couldn't address (4Q20 MX delivery obviously rushed out of the factory because trunk lid hinge bolts weren't tightened down prior to installing glass panel, so it was never going to be aligned without removing the glass, which is incredibly time intensive due to other body parts that require removal).

See on their website they have this logo below...and they are also an approved body shop for Porsche. Maybe you can google locally and find a listing for "Tesla Approved Body Shop"
1631203697167.png

Last edited:
Roadside. They will either bring you a loaner wheel and put your flat in the trunk and you arrange for a replacement through the service center - returning the loaner wheel. Or you are towed.

Thanks. Is it better to use Tesla’s roadside or AAA. I ask this question because I’m taking a 12 day road trip and want to be prepared.